Bossa Nova grooves on slash chords

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Jim Nazium, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Hey Todd,

When I'm trying to play a bossa, I mostly play the root on beat one and the 5th on beat 3. But I get confused when there's a slash chord. For example, on "Wave" there's a C9/Bb in the bridge, which I guess is spelled Bb - C - E - G - Bb - D. How would you handle that?
  2. jtroska

jtroska

hmmm… Not familiar with the song. For how many beats does the C9/Bb last? If one measure, I would experiment with Bb on ONE and G (5th) on THREE. Or Bb on ONE and a quick C right before the G on THREE. Or, if there are more beats to play one, maybe walk through the Bb and C while maintaining the G on the THREEs. I think so long as you keep the chord tones on the strong beats, you can't go too far wrong. Just experiment and hear what flows with the rest of the song.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

you could still play a root/five bass line on the C9/Bb and itd be like a Bb lydian chord. take it case by case and look at what inversion your playing. for example you may or may not want to play root/five on the first inversion major chords although many guys still would.
  4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

There's A LOT of things you "could do".... :)

A good place to start is to just play the Bb on 1 and 3.... It leads nicely to the next chord. AND..... you might try listening to some recordings to see what the guys on the records play.... just sayin'!!! :)
    Often people just play Gmi7 | C9| Fmaj7 and leave the "7th in the bass off the C9....
    I would make sure I was playing what the guys in the band are playing and ask them what they prefer!! (Always a good idea by the way!!)
    I hope this helps....
  5. Register to disable this ad