1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bought a Carvin Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joe Milo, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Fellas,

New BX1500 will be delivered according to UPS tracking Feb 6th (my birthday)! So, when it arrives I will make a NAD post.....

Very excited! I called Carvin and spoke with the bass amp guy and he told me that only 6 units were still available at the sale price of $499.00................................. Said this AMP is getting discontinued for the BX1600 which to me looks like it has a few more bells and whistles...Red face plate and LED lighting. Now I will finally have a AMP that can drive both of my 400 watt 4x10 cabs without blowing a fuse!
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Congrats ! I've been using a BX1500 for about 5 years now. Very versatile amp with all the power you could want in a lightweight head. Best bang for the buck, imho.
  3. braud357

braud357

My BX1500 is a BEAST ! I have been playing for over 40 years, and this is the first time that I feel that I have too much power ! On the gigs that I have played with it, the master volume has not been over "2" !
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Congrats looks like it has tone shaping for days.
  5. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

For you guys who have answered my post do you by chance use two cabs with this AMP? Was looking at the different options on hooking up two cabs........
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Run the two channels in parallel with a 4Ω cabinet per side. this works well for me.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That's what I would do also. Gives you more flexibilty since you'll have a volume knob for each cab. The BX1500 puts out 450w x 2 in this configuration.

:bassist:
  8. Johnny_Boy

Johnny_Boy

I'm planning on ordering a B-1000 in the next week or 2. But the price on the BX1500 sure is hard to pass up, though. If there's a better deal for a half stack anywhere else I sure haven't found it yet. Although I did se the GB 6.0 head is going for $399 on Amazon.
    Congrats on your purchase!!
    Be sure and let us know how it sounds!!
  9. Johnny_Boy

Johnny_Boy

10. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

Team that puppy with a fEARful 15/6/1 and bridge it for 900W
    into 8 ohms.
    ~65 pounds total weight and more power and tonal range than you'll ever use.

Than you have to get used to the big grin you can't wipe off of your face.
  11. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

I have two Hartke CABS.

4X10XL
    4.5X10XL both are 8Ohms and both are 400 Watts.......

Was thinking about running each from SPK1 and SPK2....a line from each spkr input to the input on the cab.
  12. pica

pica

Congrats. I've been looking at Carvin amps for a while myself.
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Since they are 8 ohm cabs, each cab will see 300w and you'll have to two volume knobs (one for each).

Also since they are 8 ohm cabs, you can connect them together in BRIDGE mode (BRIDGE button in, BRIDGE output to cab1/cab1 to cab2) and the cabs will see 1500 WATTS, or 750 watts each!

Be careful, they aren't fEARfuls..

:bag:
  14. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Omg don't do that! Lol..... those hartke's will NOT handle that power at all. I push my 410xl plenty loud with 130 watts. They probably only actually have around 250 usable watts ( I know....thats not a real term! but what I mean is... evryhing set level- the cab will only take about that much power before it starts to fart.)

If you put 300 each into them they'll be fine..... but watch your volume and ESPECIALLY watch your "bass" and " low mid" settings.

Sounds like yoy have an awesome rig there..... enjoy!
  15. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

I'm not going to use BRIDGE mode but thanks for letting me know I can......750 WATTS for a CAB rated at 400 I feel is a bit much...

Just gonna do the mono mode hookup!

Thanks Kikstand!
  16. BassmanPaul

Joe, just to add to post #14, an average cabinet is rated for the thermal rating of the drivers used. This is the point where the coils begin to melt. In real world use, a driver can make use of about half of that power before it runs out of excursion and into damage territory.
  17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That's why I gave him a warning! :bag:

Of course I also told him how to unleash the power of Chernobyl into his cabs but....

:bassist:
  18. BassmanPaul

As someone who is retired from the Nuclear Power Industry, let's leave the Russian disaster out of this!!! I still can't believe that someone would create a Reactor out of flammable material! :scowl:

it still makes me shudder.
  19. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I run two 4OHM cabs into my Hartke LH1000. Best way to go I think. Should sound especially nice with the Carvin.

Speaking of Carvin I was looking into the B2000 my self to replace the Hartke. My other option would be the Fender Superbassman 300. Should I splurge on the Fender? Or keep it "modest" with the Carvin?
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The Carvin ships for free and comes with a 10 return policy. You can get it, compare it to the Fender, and send it back if you want to keep the Fender.