1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bought a new Engelhart and think I want to upgrade my strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by soho192, Jan 16, 2014.

1. soho192

soho192

So first off I'm a beginner to upright. I've had some issues getting my low E sounding good or even making sound at all. I figured I would go try out some bows. I got 2 low end used bows from A440 in Chicago. I also played some amazing basses and was blown away by how easy they played with those bows. I was excited to try them out at home and the bows didn't work any better than the one I'm borrowing from my instructor.

I know part of this is the bass, but I'd imagine the hair/string relationship impacts play-ability a lot.

1. What are you using the bass for?

Taking acro lessons, but I'll be playing blue grass so I'm going to say 50/50 acro/pizz.

2. What kind of sound are you looking for (bright, dark, long sustain, thumpy, gut-like, etc.).

looking for play-ability with arco, but would like a good dark sound.

3. What kind of feel are you looking for (high/low tension, thick/thin gauge, etc.)

I use middle of the road strings on my electric. I believe they are still hybrid slinky (think GD and thinner EA)

4. What strings have you used in the past and what did you like/dislike about them (If you don't know what was on your old bass, try to find out what strings they were by providing the silk colors at both ends).

I currently have super something strings... I forget, but I'd imagine they are these since they have super in the name and are red.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Super-S...4-Size-Double-Bass-Strings-483658-i1438346.gc

I really like the spyrocore strings and was thinking about going with those. The only problem is the price is a little higher than I'd like, but hey, if it makes practicing easier and more enjoyable then I think it's work the investment. Also I'm buying a Finale German bow since those seem all the rave over here.

2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Keep an eye on the Classifieds.
    There are used Spiros for sale quite often, and at great prices.

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Go for the Weichs. In my experience, Engels and Kays are much happier with low tension strings.

4. tyb507

tyb507

I really like Evah Pirazzi Weichs for bowing and pizz...low-ish tension, warm, full pizz sound, maybe a little dark, which suits my country/grass/old time/roots jazz needs well. I think they have a great feel and sound under the bow as well, though they aren't suited to serious orchestral or solo playing...maybe a little slow to respond for that (not to say that my technique isn't mostly to blame, but my (100% classical) teacher really doesn't like them). I did replace the E string with a spiro.

Here's a deal:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f145/evah-pirazzi-weich-set-sale-canada-1044235/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    If you bought your Engelhardt new, it likely came with these strings: LaBella RC-610

They're a budget string with fairly high-tension. I generally find their arco response (and bowability) to be less than preferable.

A warmer string, such as the Evah's recommended just above, and/or a lower tension string, like the Corelli 370's (which are a lot cheaper than Spirocores) might both be a good string to try. The Corellis bow pretty well for steel "hybrid" strings.

It's all pretty subjective, though. Since you've been living with the strings on your bass (and perhaps can verify that they are those LaBellas) you should make a short list of the things you like about them, and the things you don't like - that will provide you with a reference point; and you can then call a knowledgeable shop with a large selection, and discuss your options based on your wish list.

Good luck! There are folks in this board who are still searching for the elusive "perfect" string... ;-)

7. soho192

soho192

Thanks everyone! I sent a PM about those used Weichs. How do you pronounce that? Weech?

8. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

"Vike"- like "Pike" as in "Pike's Peak" but with a "V" will get you pretty close.

The "ch" technically isn't pronounced as a hard "K" sound but it's difficult to explain in writing...for me anyway. ;)

Great choice on Spiro Weich btw!

Joe

9. soho192

soho192

Ahhh, so basically just that coughy voice that germans do.

10. DC Bass

Ja, das ist richtig! ;)

BTW: Are you considering the Evah or the Spirocore weich? Evah's are a synthetic core string made by Pirastro and Spirocore is a metal "rope core" string made by Thomastik.

Not to be nosey, but it looks like you responded to someone selling Evahs. They're great strings too, don't get me wrong- just want to make sure that you are sure about what you're trying to get.

Joe

11. soho192

soho192

I'm going with the Evah's since three people recommended those. I didn't try any at the violin shop so hopefully I like these as well. And if not I can sell em for just a little less than what I paid instead of half the new price.

Honestly I'm really confused on cores and haven't found any information on different core types. From what I read though in other threads is that Evah's are quite popular and I already got three recommendations. I think $110 or so isn't bad to try out some strings that will definitely be an upgrade. I think I have super sensitive red labels on here now. That's what the suggested in the shop and I vaguely remember hearing that at the factory.

So what exactly does weich mean? there are spirocore weich and Evah weich strings is what I gather from your last post.

12. soho192

soho192

Ahhh, just read weich is weak. This is more difficult that trying to figure out how to order a coffee at starbucks.

Just trying to figure out what part of these names referse to makes, models, types, and what not are. Time to go back to the newbie threads I think...

13. DC Bass

Gotcha- I only brought up the Spirocores because you mentioned liking them in your original post.

Weich translates to "weak" but we take it to mean "light".

German and Austrian string companies list weich for "light", mittel for "medium" and stark for "heavy". Some companies that market them in English speaking countries offer translations that are more easily understood but that sometimes leads to confusion.

I think you are making a great, informed choice going with Evah weichen. Folks seem to get lots of life out of them and the ad you responded to has them at a very reasonable price. If you hate them you can always resell them.

As for all of the different string cores- yeah, it's a mess! :) My advice would be to get some Evahs and live with them for a year or two before experimenting with other stuff. Really get to know them. In the mean time you can read up on the many string forum threads, but BEWARE- there is a dire sickness known as "STRING FEVER" that can render your wallet empty and deprive you of a drawer in your dresser for the storage of all of the strings you've tried...believe me! I'm still recovering myself! :D

Joe

14. DC Bass

LOL!!!

I know what you mean! I don't go there often, but when I do I always ask for a "large coffee, black". :D

Joe

15. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

EP Weichs have some tension to them, about the same as Spiro Mittels. They have a braided synthetic core with a flat chrome steel wrap. Spiros on the other hand have a braided steel core with a flat steel wrap. Both are good strings.

Stereo Joe bought a bass from me a while back. I'll vouch for him any day.

16. soho192

soho192

Bass strings just came. Thanks to Stereo Joe!

17. soho192

soho192

I'll reply later this week with my opinion. I just got my Finale bow yesterday so I'm ready for some practicing :)

18. soho192

soho192

Wow! What a difference. I am no longer riding the struggle bus trying to play on me E and G strings. I love the pizz tone much better too. Feels great on my right hand and soft and easy to fret with my left hand.

19. Gottaplaybass

Gottaplaybass a.k.a. James Slice

Wow! Thanks for posting this thread. I also have an Engelhardt that I want to restring for the same reasons. I have been leaning towards The Evah Pirazzi Weich strings, but had begun to waffle. I appreciate the feedback about the sound and playability on your bass. It sounds like they are what I'm looking/listening for. I know that each bass will sound differently, but your discriptions of the sound and feel of your bass sounds to me like we have the same issues. Thanks.

20. Doghouse_Oli

Doghouse_Oli

On my Engelhardt ES-1.... I always go back to Spiro solo (S42)... The best all around Steel strings for me (arco/slap/pizz)!!! But my heart is always broken between gut and Spiro Solo on that bass!!

Good luck with you string search!!

21. Gottaplaybass

Gottaplaybass a.k.a. James Slice

I just installed Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Weich strings on my Engelhardt EC-1. Wow!:hyper: I didn't know how dead and unplayable my old strings really were. I feel like I have a new bass.
    :hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist: