1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bought a new Ibanez. Neck pocket question.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cyborg, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

I bought a new Ibanez SR705 with an interesting issue. The neck sits lower in the pocket as you move in the direction of the headstock. IS THIS A SERIOUS PROBLEM??? I've never had a bass with the neck sitting in the pocket like this. Is this a manufacturing defect? My SR505 does not sit like this. Any input?

[​IMG]

2. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

My sr755 does the same thing, it is due to the shims towards the bridge part of the heel used to achieve a proper angle. It is only noticeable because the manufacturer, who's plant i visited in japan, is to lazy to shave the "non FB" portion of the neck flush with the body.

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

If the action suits you, it's fine. Not unusual.

4. Cyborg

Cyborg Supporting Member

That seems to make sense. I still don't like the way it looks.

The action seems OK but it needs a set up to see if the action will get to where I want it. I'm trying to let the neck acclimate a little bit to the house before proceeding.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

That's fine. If you discover the action is LOWER than you'd prefer, even after lowering the bridge, you could remove the shim. Doing so will raise action substantially.

7. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Hey Man - I saw your thread in the Basses forum earlier.

That doesn't look right at all. I just went & checked my 4 Ibanez basses (3 are SR - 07' & newer), and the neck lines are parallel to the body.

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Really?

You're just joking, right?

Every shimmed BO neck looks like that in relation with the top of the body.
    On some instruments, the distance between the FB and the top is greater and/or the neck pocket is shorter so the effct isn't as pronounced as it is in OP's case.

Shimming is just the nature of things with mass produced BO instruments, nothing to be exited about.
    THEY WERE DESIGNED THAT WAY.

Don't know about the policies over there, but if an instrument with the "condition" the OP's has would be returned with a flaw as the reason over here, there's a strong chance of a lecture and at least a bill for the return postage.
    Rightfully so as well if You ask me.

The above is obviously assuming that the setup is as decent as it looks in the pic.

Regards
    Sam

9. maturanesa

maturanesa

that would indicate the the neck is slightly angled, or the body is just taller in that area... If the bass keep the set up well i wouldnt worry...

10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

First off did you catch the part about it being a new bass?

Secondly did you catch the part about the neck joint looking very different from his SR505 which is a dimensionally identical bass.

11. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Yes, hard to miss as it's in the title and in the first line.

Makes absolutely no difference for the shimming requirement of a mass produced BO instrument though IME.

3, :eek:, woah, that's a lot of basses ;).

Because he has one reference to compare the new one with, and it does look somewhat different?

If he didn't have anything to compare it with, what would've happened then?

:( I guess I don't then, the 25 or so years of working on and playing various instruments have been utterly in vain.

If shimming is what takes the instrument to be playable, IMHO/IME it's perfectly normal.

There You are absolutely correct, I don't know about the American return policies, but somehow I don't believe that a regular BO feature like that justifies a free replacement.

Regards
    Sam

12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Thousands, maybe a million basses and other BO instruments have left the factory with shims in the necks since Fender began with the first mass production in the fifties. The only reason to make bolt on necks is to speed construction and lower costs over set neck design. It allows them to quickly do things like shim necks. Some need it some don't. I guess Ibanez isn't allowed to operate like all other makers in your estimation. This is caused by a lack of understanding of mass production of wooden BO guitars on your part.

If OP is not ok with that, he can try to return it. Have a nice day y'all.

13. grendle

grendle

Thats perfectly normal , and fine. you'll see that on abou 99% of bolt on basses.

14. Neek

Neek

I'll agree with the others that say a shimmed neck is perfectly normal; but considering that Ibanez neck has the small "shelf" area that extends past the fingerboard, and that "shelf" looks like it should be flush with the body (and it currently is not), I can understand the concern.

15. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

That's why Peavey put the neck angle adjustment on Foundations. I know about foundations don't know what other models or how long they did it.

16. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Looks like someone got overzealous with the thickness of the shim they used. To be sure why not remove it and take a look? If it's not shimmed send the sucker back. Everyone of my bolt on basses have needed to be shimmed and I ONLY play Ibanez and they all have the same look. In this case it looks like it was overdone.

If you don't know how, this would be a good time to learn how to setup your bass yourself.

Flad likes this.
  17. Bobster

Bobster

This...

18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

I just had a closer look at my cheap GSR200EX and both the Ibanez guitars of my son. All necks are perfectly parallel with the bodies. I'd check the adjustment range of the action to judge whether this angle is intended or not. With the build quality of Ibanez in mind, I don't think this angle should be there. In my opinion the price of this bass justifies replacement.

19. henry2513

If the playability is fine who cares? My 2000 dollar Ibanez is shimmed, works great for me.

20. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

Maybe I'm lacking some experience here, but did it come shimmed straight away?

21. henry2513

Yes, there was a small shim in the neck pocket, not very thick.