1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bought a used Zoom 506II on eBay, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phatcyclist, Feb 27, 2014.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I wanted something just to experiment around with a bit to get the feel of using effects pedals. For the price, I couldn't find any real fault with this effect pedal just from a versatility standpoint, I've also read the quality of them is OK. About the only thing I know that could be somewhat of a downside is the complexity of switching effects, but I'm not worried about it.

Anyway, for $25 shipped I thought it might be worth a try, I'll hopefully get it Monday.
  2. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

I still have the early version (Zoom 506) which I bought in mid 90's when it was released. I bought it because my bandmates used the guitar version (Zoom 505) and I liked it too much. I did a lot of gigs with it.

The god thing about it was the easy way to get a decent tone because most of the fx had only one parameter. Octaver , fuzz , chorus , delay and "vintage" distortion sounded great. I never got the deal with "synth" and more extreme distortions modes...

It was a great level entry multifx back in the day ( mid 90's) , but not for today's standarts. Most of new multifx had more editing options.

It's a good starting point to experiment and see which fx can be usefull to you...When you know it you can save money and buy single pedals for each fx or a more complex multifx.
  3. gleneg61

gleneg61

I've still got my original mid 90's 506 n then the 506ii which came out early 00's I think. Got a MSB 60 now that's my main squeeze but I mostly used the 506's as EQ & compressors to set up different sounds that were easily accessible on the fly in troublesome venues n it did its job quite well for the times. I used a few fx too here n there but most players would think them quite cheesy nowadays compared to how the latest multis sound. The synths were hopeless IMO but some choruses were usable. Anyway, a cheap n easy intro into the world of fx. Enjoy!