1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bought a used Zoom 506II on eBay, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phatcyclist, Feb 27, 2014.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I wanted something just to experiment around with a bit to get the feel of using effects pedals. For the price, I couldn't find any real fault with this effect pedal just from a versatility standpoint, I've also read the quality of them is OK. About the only thing I know that could be somewhat of a downside is the complexity of switching effects, but I'm not worried about it.

Anyway, for $25 shipped I thought it might be worth a try, I'll hopefully get it Monday.

2. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

I still have the early version (Zoom 506) which I bought in mid 90's when it was released. I bought it because my bandmates used the guitar version (Zoom 505) and I liked it too much. I did a lot of gigs with it.

The god thing about it was the easy way to get a decent tone because most of the fx had only one parameter. Octaver , fuzz , chorus , delay and "vintage" distortion sounded great. I never got the deal with "synth" and more extreme distortions modes...

It was a great level entry multifx back in the day ( mid 90's) , but not for today's standarts. Most of new multifx had more editing options.

It's a good starting point to experiment and see which fx can be usefull to you...When you know it you can save money and buy single pedals for each fx or a more complex multifx.

3. gleneg61

gleneg61

I've still got my original mid 90's 506 n then the 506ii which came out early 00's I think. Got a MSB 60 now that's my main squeeze but I mostly used the 506's as EQ & compressors to set up different sounds that were easily accessible on the fly in troublesome venues n it did its job quite well for the times. I used a few fx too here n there but most players would think them quite cheesy nowadays compared to how the latest multis sound. The synths were hopeless IMO but some choruses were usable. Anyway, a cheap n easy intro into the world of fx. Enjoy!