1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bourbon Street string count

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gaolee, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Im in New Orleans for work. Being in New Orleans means I have to play tourist a bit, whether it's a business trip or not, so I wandered in and out of venues on Bourbon Street. First of all, I was impressed that nearly every place had some kind of live performance going on, whether it was a band or strippers. The second impression I got was that there were a whole lot of rock and roll cover bands and next to no jazz. I don't remember any rock and roll cover bands when I visited here 35 years ago, but it was one of those trips as a young man which may have involved some memory impairing vices.

The biggest surprise to me was how many extra strings nearly all of the bass players were using. Out of what seemed like more than a dozen bass players I saw, one was playing the upright and two were playing four string bass guitars. There was one six string bass guitar and the rest were fivers. I don't know if that's a regional thing or what. I'm used to seeing guys in bars playing battered old P-Basses and Jazz Basses, not exotica.

More research is probably necessary, so I'll be doing that this evening. It's all for science.