Boutique Bass Amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jun 27, 2007.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    Ok everyone. I am looking for a botique bass amp. I have no price limit and I am looking for quality. My SWR Bass 750 is just not cutting it and I am interested in moving up.
    Any Suggestions?
  2. gkbass13

gkbass13

check out the thunderfunk 550, the epifani ul502, the agguilar db 750, the eden wt800 and the new stuff from amrkbass. those seem to be some of the hottest heads out (the eden is more so just a staple of an amp....and it is the david to SWR's goliath...so that is always fun).

i would say that you should specify what you are looking for in an amp though, power, tone, settings you will use it in, etc...that way people can help you much easier in your quest for a new tone.
  3. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

you can get an Orange Thunderverb head with the 4x10 and 1x15 cabs to go with it. $3000 to $3500 will be your price tag roughly. Or the new Laney Nexus tube head and 8x10 cab with a price tag of about $4200
  4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    What do you not like about the SWR 750 so we can help you a little better.. is is dependibliy, power or another issue?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If the SWR is not loud enough consider a separate power amp for serious power. Also the naturally midscooped SWR amp sound demands a lot more power to be heard, maybe worth thinking about your EQ?

Alex
  7. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

Boutique bass amp. 1st decide how much power you really need and get a high end power amp from Crown/QSC/Crest/Stewart/YAMAHA etc. that has double that power in bridged mode into whatever impedence your cab is. Next go to basstaisters and checkout all the pre-amps. Pick out 4 or 5 that you like and then find them and play them. If money is no object then you'd better take the time to play them first as you might be dumping a ton of money in them. The trouble with Boutique stuff is that after a while it isn't Boutique anymore. I remember when PEAVEY was Boutique. Some pre-amps that I like are (1) Alembic F1-X (2) Ampeg SVP-Pro (3) Eden Nav. Some of these are bare bones (Alembic) and some have a ton of features (Eden). The sweatest amp I've ever owned was an Eden VT-300 tube amp. I never got a chance to play it on a gig as the thing was so expensive that I was afraid to take it out of the house. (is that dumb or what) It was warm, clean, and articulate.
  8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

What cabs are you using? Your amp can run 2 8ohm cabs like 2 4x10's at huge volume levels. That should be plenty loud for most stage volumes. There are lots of 'boutique' amps out there, but many here would consider the SWR 750 a higher end amp.
  9. iriegnome

Media:
    I am currently running a Schroeder 1212, a Schorder Mini-12 and a SWR Bass Monitor. All at 8 Ohms each. I had to change the tube on my SWR and I can stand it now. I tried 8 different tubes, but nothing is the same. My SWR is about 7 years old now. Right now I am looking for suggestions as to my next move. The speakers are great, I just don't think the SWR is up to it.
  10. bassbrock

bassbrock

+1 - Very good advice.

I've found the preamp/power amp combo to be the most versatile. Most power amps nowadays are simply bleeding power and sound fantastic. You can get the boutique nuance type sound with your choice of preamp. Me? I went with a 1200 Watt bridged 4ohm QSC power amp and a Sansamp RBI rackmount preamp. I plug that into my power-hungry Acme cabs (http://www.acmebass.com/) and it sounds fantastic at all volume levels.

If you ever need to expand, simply get a higher wattage power amp or add power amps to your setup. Same if you decide you want to go smaller too. Your sound won't change because you use the same boutique preamp! :)

-bb
  11. Chriso21

Chriso21 Supporting Member

12. iriegnome

Media:
    These look fantastic. Weight is a big factor in my next upgrade. These look really heavy and expensive. To go with the 1x15 and 4x10 individual cabinets and the 400w head $10,000
  13. ctbass

ctbass

Aggie DB750!!!!!!
  14. RAM

RAM

I was in the same boat, but already had a separate pre/power rig: Read Purity preamp, Stewart World 2.1 poweramp, and an Epi 4-10UL cab. The problem I faced was that the Read, as great as it is, tends to be upper-mid focused, and a little "too tubey" for my tastes. Sounds great, but just doesn't fit my current tonal needs.

So, I ordered an Avalon VT-737sp, which is supposed to arrive Monday:hyper: (although the DHL website shows today as the expected delivery date). I played one at GC through a Markbass 4-10 and fell over, it sounded so good! http://www.avalondesign.com/vt737sp.html

If you want boutique, this is one way to go. Other preamps I considered were Millennia, Glockenklang BAC, and Phil Jones P-1. Some are mic-pres, and may or may not meet all of your gigging needs, so you should carefully consider them if you're thinking about going this route. The others are dedicated bass preamps and have features galore. The PJB P-1 has a 15 band graphic and a 3 band parametric eq!!!
  15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    There's a Kern preamp in the Classifieds for sale.
    That and match to your power amp of choice, and you win, hands down. :bassist:

Or buy my Eden WT800B... ;)
  16. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    +1 on the thunderfunk..... great amp.. punchy....
  17. jacohead

jacohead

aguilars db70 is a very well made amp. check out the website, they have pictures of inside the amp, and it looks clean. i had an eden wt 800 and it does not compare to the aggie in any department.