1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boutique Guv'nor clones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Jan 11, 2013.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Is there anyone making clones of the o.g. Marshall Guv'nor pedal?
    I'd love to have one with a blend on it.
  2. Jc575

Jc575 Supporting Member

General Guitar Gadgets has one (the MGV). It's a great sounding pedal, but unfortunately no blend. I actually have one for sale on the evil bay now.
    [​IMG]
  3. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Jerms made me one years ago, when I still played guitar. It was spot on. Jerms is Jim Roth the guitarist for Built to Spill. Not sure if he has a website. I met him on the DAM pedal list when I used to hang out there.
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I built one with a clean blend in it. the thing is, you have to have the clean blend circuit able to flip the phase since guv'nors reverse the phase of the original signal. I also slightly modded the tone stack and coupling caps for use with a bass (i.e. for no low end loss).

here's a pic of the one that I built:

[​IMG]
  5. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

^ ^ ^
    Oo Fancy, any clips?
  6. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    i'll make a clip of it tomorrow. I think it's a pretty darn good od/distortion pedal for bass now.
  7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Very cool looking pedal. Good Job
  8. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

That's beautiful are you selling those?
  9. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks. not really. I generally make pedals for myself, but I have made a few for others by request.
    here's a pic of most of the ones I've made lately (most of them modded for bass use) :

[​IMG]
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

11. fasto

fasto

good job ... as always!

which schematic did you use? also interested in building a clone ... 2nd hand prices for the original pedal are very high.
  12. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

The chancellor is another diy avenue
  13. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  14. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    here's a quick clip of my guvnor recorded with a zoom H4n playing a '62 RI p bass w/rounds thru my SVT7 pro/2x15 eminence 3015's. the very first part is bypassed, then it's clicked in clean. then I raise the gain in various increments without the clean blend. About mid way, I added the clean blend and messed around with the eq.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  15. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I don't particularly like bass distortion but I could think of a used for something this versatile.
    Any suggestion on something store bought that sounds like John's modded Guvner?
  16. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Your Guv'nor is the pedal that inspired this thread John, because it seems really cool and ideal for my needs but I also knew you wouldn't want to sell it. So I figured I'd see if anyone else has made something similar for sale.

I have an original Guv'nor and it has a mids voice I havn't heard in another distortion pedal. I use it as a mildly set dirt/always on pedal for one particular band. It adds a ton of mean growl to my tone.
  17. thesaddpenguin

thesaddpenguin

Other than the annoyingness of the stacked knobs on the Marshall GV-2, I dig the GV-2 for a Tim Commerford(RATM) sort of vibe.
  18. Meddle

Meddle

Hello John. Do you remember off hand which caps needed swapping? I quite like the look of GGG's kit (as well as their Brassmaster clone).
  19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    That pedal sounds amazing.
  20. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's been a while since I built it so I really don't remember. i'd have to look inside and compare what I ended up using against the schematic. in my builds, i always socket the input and output coupling caps, the tone stack caps, the IC an/or transistors and the clipping diodes so i can easily tune the pedal after it's built.