Boutique/High End Basses with...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiz, Nov 29, 2012.

1. twiz

twiz

...similar ergos to Ibanez Soundgear?

Man, it seems I just can't bond with the P-bass or J-bass shapes. I learned on an Ibanez and even though I'm mostly a jazz guy, I can't get comfortable with the larger body, placement of the neck relative to seated position and neck shape. Sucks... I "want" to love a p-bass shape, I certainly prefer the thump.

Anyway, it's time to uptick from my SR700 (heck, it's been 10 years), and I'm not digging the styling of the Ibanez Prestige line. Are there some alternative ideas out there with super comfortable ergos similar to the SR series? (think neck, light body, smallish body, etc...)

I'm not worried about the price tag, just want it to work.

I had an eye on the Rob Allen Solid 4, but there must be some more stuff out there with these basic concepts in mind.
  2. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    F-bass BN4...Bring your Wallet though.
  3. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

Mayones Custom series, equipped with a light samba body. yummmm
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I dunno, bro - here's an sr905 and sr3005 Prestige, side by side - they fit in the same cases, and their necks felt identical:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

The Spector line has exactly what you are looking for...
    small body, thin neck, lots of tone options, ergo design, upscale, great quality, a price range that will fit any wallet.
    Check out the Spector club on TB for more info and insight on good, better and best models for your needs. I have a couple of them and will be buying more. Warning, they are addictive.
  8. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I've heard a couple boutique companies that sometimes use bubinga for necks, exotic woods. I love the tone, but you can pretty much nail the tones I've heard with an Ibanez 506(bubinga or wedge/mahogany body) for a fraction of the cost of a Wyn, for instance.
  9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Solid 4 is not a particularly small instrument, and is a polar opposite from an SR.

Maybe this floats your boat?

[​IMG]
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Yup, give Chris Stambaugh a call.
    He is excellent to work with.
    He can build what you want.
  11. twiz

twiz

Thanks for this -- in his write up, he made mention of "The Solid 4 is ergonomically designed with the bridge near the end of the body, creating better balance points with no neck dive, and a bass that is about 3 inches shorter than most electric basses, while retaining full scale length." This seemed to be very interesting to me.

I figured he could customize the neck profile, etc...

Fodera looks amazing. Thanks!
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

IME, Spectors do not have "thin" necks, and are nothing like an sr Series Ibanez in regards to ergonomics... They are high quality instruments that sound great, but are nothing like an Ibanez...

- georgestrings
  13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Actually some of the Spectors do have thin necks. My Rex5 neck thru is one of the thinnest 5 string necks I've every played. Never played an Ibanez 5 string but their 4 string necks that I've tried are super thin. I'd be very interested to hear what the circumfrence of the neck is on a 5 string Ibby at the 1st, 12th and 18th fret.
    I didn't pick up in the original post that the OP wanted another bass with an Ibanez shaped body, I assumed he was open to other shapes as long as they were small and ergonomic, which the Spector is.
  14. Kryptos

Kryptos

15. Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Why not just buy the high-end SR? Theyve got some pretty pricey ones in ibanez's lineup.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

+100
  17. twiz

twiz

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. After 10 years of plunking away, I'm just interested in a change of pace -- for any of you long term SR fans, you get used to those ergos and it's tough to step away.

I'll check out some of the ideas listed -- thanks again!
  18. bassyj

bassyj

Check out www.pratbasses.com ... Oscar is great and really knows how to combine woods to help you achieve your sound without breaking your back. Elrick basses are also along the line of what you're talking about.
  19. Spino

Spino

Ibanez Grooveline is a cool looking bass that's supposed to be super comfortable,but some people can't get on with the shape.Might interest you .G'luck
  20. Highs&Lows

Highs&Lows

Vadim Rubtsov:

http://vadimbasses.com/eng/gallery_eng.php

Super ergonomic basses, with smaller, carved bodies and flat, thin necks,...plus Vadim is a great guy and its custom and you can chose whatever you want.
  21. Jenra

Jenra

The MusicMan Bongo? :) it's made to be ergonomical :)