1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boutique Vibe On a Budget.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sourwookie, Sep 7, 2013.

1. sourwookie

sourwookie

Disclosures:
    Sales, Hoover Music Co
    I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. Please feel free to direct me to any threads (recent, as things do change) that have covered this already.

Through a series of robberies over the years I have found myself losing a Ken Smith, a 1980 mahogany/ebony G&L L1000 (I cried for months), and a modified USA Jazz. Now I am currently without anything "pro" level (I gig for a sizable chunk of my income) and it's driving me insane.

I picked up a Fender Vintage Modified Jazz (the humbucker model) and I added an 18v preamp to tie me over until I figure out my next move. But it's time to move on (I keep an ultra-low action and it only makes me aware of how "rubbery" the neck on this thing is).

I am looking for a bass with a bit of a "boutique" look that can be had for under $1500. Oddly enough, I don't have real strong feelings concerning bolt-on vs neck-thru. I really prefer flatter FBs with larger radiuses. J-style spacing is a must. I think I'm ready to go back to a five (oh, how the pendulum swings. Farewell, alt country/garage rock era).

As far as style goes, I confess I'm a little tired of Fender-Style basses and would like to go with something less traditional. I like woods more than paint, and am not a big fan of pickguards. I like little horns and symmetry in my double cuts--more so than the "pointy" horns I associate with the 80's and 90's*. My first bass as a teen was a Kramer 450B in natural (think SD Curlee) with a definite "Alembic" vibe--and I think it may have colored my tastes for life.

I am familiar with Warwick and Carvin at that price point, but I feel as if I'm missing something, perhaps from smaller builders. Unless I miss my mark, my beloved Alembics and Foderas are right out. Any help? Thanks so much!

*bonus points: I'm a sucker for single-cut bodies.
  2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Until you said little horns you were talking Ibanez. They have boutique quality basses, a wide variety of sounds and neck styles to choose from, beautiful wood (not painted) finishes, and affordable prices. I don't know of any with small horns.

Also you might look for S.D. Curlee. The company is defunct but they made small horned basses with natural finishes that looked Alembic-ish but were far cheaper. He produced enough of them that there are likely to some floating around - especially in the Chicago area where he had his business.
  3. sourwookie

sourwookie

Disclosures:
    Sales, Hoover Music Co
    Personal aesthetics aside, Ibanez is in The Short List. I work for a dealer so the pricing is a little sweeter too.

Funny you should mention the SD Curlee, as my first bass was a Kramer 450B (aluminum neck, walnut body) that had an SD/Alembic vibe about it. God, I miss it.
  4. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

SD Curlee is up and running.

http://www.sdcurleeusa.com/

They don't do five strings though and they're medium scale (in case you're a strict "it ain't a bass if it's less than 34"" guy).

Carvin SB5000, possibly used. The cutaways aren't typical Fender fare and they are very niiiice.
  5. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

6. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

good luck
  7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Carvin, really.
    And do check out the Tom Clement basses... he's on these boards... very nice stuff!
  9. sourwookie

sourwookie

Disclosures:
    Sales, Hoover Music Co
  10. aidanPmC

aidanPmC

Carvin + upgraded electronics = one killer bass!. :bassist:
  11. Systolic

Systolic

Warwick, Spector, Carvin, MTD, Lakland. Those'd be the first places I'd look for a reasonably priced and good sounding 5'er with a non heavily painted body as well as a non traditional (read Fender) look.
  12. sourwookie

sourwookie

Disclosures:
    Sales, Hoover Music Co
    "And do check out the Tom Clement basses... he's on these boards... very nice stuff!"

D'oh! Jinx!
  13. plong123

plong123 All Your Bass Are Belong To Us Supporting Member

After rereading your requirements, I think you'll like Carvin's Brian Bromberg basses. They are super Jazz basses, but without the pickguard or traditional J look. Also, cool horns. If you get a chance to try one out, I highly recommend it.
  14. sourwookie

sourwookie

Disclosures:
    Sales, Hoover Music Co
    All that Carvin stuff looks tight. As does the Ibanez . I know I should be pragmatic and treat my bass choice as the tool it is but something in me is crying out for something off the beaten path--like my Ken Smith did so long ago thatIblewthatstudentloanmoneyonandnowi'mstillpayingforitohgodthatwassuchamistake. ;)
  15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

For that much money? Sheesh! I'd probably just hit up Warmoth for the parts then drop in my electronics-of-choice to seal the deal. But to recommend that would be to assume they have the parts you particularly want.
  16. eulogy77

eulogy77

pedulla you can find them arround that price and maybe even cheaper, thats what i recomend, i was on the hunt myself and found what i was looking for ( not pedulla, but very nice basses),I hope it goes well with yours
  17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

schecter? some of them are kind of "boutique-y", although most will say the biggest downfall of schecter is the electronics are pretty bland.
  18. sourwookie

sourwookie

Disclosures:
    Sales, Hoover Music Co
    You're not too far off the mark. I've priced up/planned some Warmoth builds and like what I came up with. They all involved ordering body blanks and blank paddle headstocks so I would have some work ahead of me involving perimeter cuts and shaping which I am not adverse to and even have experience with. Thank god they do P'UP and neck routing.
  19. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

See?! All my ideas are good ideas! :bag:

Seriously though, if I could do that too, I would. (wood?:D) Then I would <snerk!> have something I could truly call "MINE", top to bottom. Instead, I have to build mine from pre-made parts, which is still as rewarding as it is fun.

Happy Hunting!
  20. BassmanM

BassmanM

Maybe too cheap for you, but definitely my recommendation: Cort Artisan series. Here's mine.

[​IMG]