Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Jeremy Darrow, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    I'm going to to the Bass Cellar on Saturday to start the search for a new bow. Has anyone been up there recently and played something that I need to check out? Or, have you played a bow anywhere else that is worth a look? I'm looking for French bows in the 4K range.

Thanks!
  2. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Bows are such a matter of personal preference. Are you flying solo? My last couple of purchases have been greatly facilitated by having another set of ears along for the ride.

Good luck; you should be able to find a great stick (or two) for 4k.
  3. ubassman

ubassman

4. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    That's great advice. I am bringing a buddy. He's a musician that I play with frequently. He's also a budding bow maker.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Jeremy, I know that a lot of places will send out a few bows for trial. That way you can use it in your prefered musical setting.

I am bow hunting too. I hope to be getting a George Rubino bow to try in the next few months.
  7. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
  8. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Hey Nicky,

I'm planning to get some bows shipped to me on trial as well. Rubinos bows are quite nice. Good luck with your shopping.
  9. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

I shoot a PSE with carbon express arrows and shuttle broadheads. Great bow
  10. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Jeremy,

We don't know anything about one another, but I personally think it's dangerous to judge a bow by its stamp or price tag. I own an expensive German stick that's mediocre, and have seen fantastic bows (ala Edgar Meyer) that were churned out of some factory.

Good luck bow shopping. Hopefully you find something that's a good fit. If not, there are literally thousands of other great bows out there.
  11. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    I couldn't agree more. I'm planning to play as many bows as I can, and I plan to buy the bow that feels and sounds best to me.
  12. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    There are several great shops in Chicago, if you don't find what you want/need at Andy's.
  13. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    I had a great visit to the Bass Cellar. Andy is great, he gave me a drawer of nice bows, some less expensive bows that he like as well and then left me alone. He has some really special bows up there and I found one that was a great fit with me and my bass. I have more bows to try, but I have a great frontrunner now.

On the same trip my buddy and I made a stop at the Baroque Violin Shop, just a few miles way from the Cellar. We wound up getting to visit with a Strad, a Stainer and bows by Tourte, Ouchard and Hill & Sons. My friend is a violin player and he played the Strad with all three bows. It was a pretty amazing experience for a last-minute stop.
  14. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

You know, I admit, when I first saw the thread title, I was picturing Jeremy dressed in camo and donning a bright orange cap, sitting atop a tall tree. :)

How is the search going Jeremy?
  15. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    I do that all the time. In a tree in my front yard. The neighbors are finally used to it.

The hunt was successful, Dennis Roy shipped two bows to me, a Reid Hudson and a Jon Vanderhorst. I was expecting to to favor the Hudson. In fact, I hadn't asked about the Vanderhorst bow, Dennis suggested that I try it and sent it along. I was blown away by that bow and I wound up buying it. It plays beautifully, as did the Hudson, but the sound that it draws was several steps above anything else that I had played. It can pull more than my bass can give. I spent a bit less than I expected to and I'm really happy.

Vanderhorst restores bows and his viola bows are highly regarded. He has only made two bass bows (Dennis still has the other one), I think if he made more he would be well known in the bass world too.