1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bow Type?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by frankyhernandez, Jan 16, 2013.

1. frankyhernandez

frankyhernandez

I got this bow from my school, but I'm not sure if it's french or german. Anyone knows? Bow.JPG

Thanks!:help:
  2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

French style. Is there a stamp on it anywhere?
  3. frankyhernandez

frankyhernandez

4. martin durkin

martin durkin

I think it might be in the French style, though this is an uneducated guess and based purely on functionality. The frog looks like it would be held in the French style bowhold. The German hold would be better with the larger style frog, as the frog is sort of cupped in the hand.Also the point/tip of the bow is carved in the Voirin style, which is more of a gradual slope, as opposed to the more, almost right angle of the German style. This doesn't always apply, but it seems to be a common style in my limited experience of bows.
  5. martin durkin

martin durkin

Actually, ignor what I said about the tip/point, but what is said about the frog does apply!
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

It's French bow that has unfortunately lost it's camber, probably from being left tightened.