Bowing in on 12-20th fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThePoloHobo, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo Supporting Member

Media:
    So I got a 2012ish MiM Jazz, and I'm trying to get a decent action on it, but from the 12th fret up, the neck curves out (like a "ski ramp" at the end of the fretboard). From 1-12 the neck is pretty straight though.. Is there any way I can adjust to work around this problem? Or perhaps fix it? :help:
  2. deeptubes

deeptubes

Have you tried slackening the strings and completely loosening the truss' nut?
  3. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo Supporting Member

Media:
    That's actually how I got the rest of the neck straight, but I only let it hang overnight. This thing was bowed pretty badly. However, I'm not sure if I got the truss rod 'completely' loose.
  4. deeptubes

deeptubes

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elBandito

elBandito

Not surprising on a MIM neck. Depending on how bad the ski jump is, fret level and fall away could remedy it.
  7. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ^^^^^ Yup!

All the truss twistin' in the world, ain't gonna fix a ski jump.

Recently, I came upon a method to get significant fallaway, *if* there's enough fret height to lose; it's similar to, "flossing", the heel of an acoustic guitar, when doing a neck reset.
    Under each string's, "lie", I use one of my u-channel leveling tools, about 7" long, so it bridges from the last fret, back to F14-15, which is usually where the ski jump starts. I firmly dress these frets, going in one direction only, towards the bridge. This ensures that the frets closer to the end of the fingerboard, have more material removed, very obvious when using this method. Recrown & polish, good to go.

I have a couple of dial indicator based tools, one set to measure relief at F7, another set to measure ski jump masquerading as relief, at the midpoint between F12/14, and the last fret. The amount of faux relief measured by the latter tool, is how much needs to be removed form the last fret, just to make this are dead level--I add 10-20 thou, get get the fret fallaway. I've been just dee-lighted with this method1
    The caveats are: can't have more faux relief than you can remove by removing fret metal; when ski jump is bad, it's partial/full refret time.

I'll post pics of this, sometime, but I'm in the middle (well, endgame)of moving.
  8. Lizarddan

Lizarddan

Did you check this against the neck itself with a notched straight edge, with a regular straight edge, or is it severe enough to be able to eyeball it?

Pics?