1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bowing issues

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Diego Gonzalez, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Diego Gonzalez

Diego Gonzalez

Hi, I'm learning double bass since an year ago and I'm pulishing my bowing (french) technique these days. I think I quite grasp the concept of using the arm weight in the frog area until the middle of the bow. I get a big round sound in that area. The problem is the upper portion of the bow. I can't discover how to use the weight of the arm in that area. I tried to use more pressure from my index finger or rotating the wrist but I think I'm hurting my forearm by doing that. That pressure turns into tension and pain in the arm muscles.

How do you do it?

-Diego
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

You don't need much arm weight. I think of it as maybe 10 or 20% of your available arm weight. Think about bow placement between the bridge and fingerboard as well as bow speed first. Then add weight.