1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Boxing Match: SVT-II vs SVT-II PRO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jcodyhall, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jcodyhall

jcodyhall

What are the differences between the SVT II and the II PRO? What makes these amps unique? Which is the better amp? Who wins the fight?

All comments welcome!

Thanks
  2. anderbass

anderbass

Basically the SVT-IIpro has separate Gain and Master knobs and is more similar to an SVT-CL,
    The II non pro just has a master volume and sounds more like a vintage SVT or an SVT-VR.

If your interested you'll find tons of SVT-II non pro info in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303286

This quote from weary hobo has some good info for ya:

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yep, that's some useful information there, an amendment was made though:

- The II has a preamp out and power amp in, which is pretty much what the effects loop send/return is.

Also, I'm not sure, haven't looked behind mine lately, but, IIRC, the later II's made in early 1990s had a polarity rocker switch.
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

I have one of each. The differences are these:

The II has a 6-band EQ and a footswitch control. The II Pro has 9 bands and no footswitch.

The II has a 2 ohm/4 ohm impedance switch. The II Pro does not.

I suppose as of late, the II Pro has some refinements. My '06 has a footswitch input in the rear, and an impedence switch.
  5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

My 1997 SVT II Pro has a 2-4 ohm impedance switch
  6. Jonyak

Jonyak

when did the II pro come into production?

I opened mine and it had a date sticker inside that said it was from 93. is that too early?
  7. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I think there is some lack of clarity going on here.

There was an SVT II (non-Pro).
    Then there was a small run of SVT II Pro (I think).
    Now, there is the SVT 2 Pro.

3 different models. I think some of the comments in here are confusing the II Pro and the 2 Pro.

In particular the quote that is here that was taken from the other thread definitely seems to be comparing the II to the II Pro (not the 2 Pro). Because:

The 2 Pro:

DOES have a footswitch input (on the back). The footswitch has one button to toggle Mute and one to toggle the EQ section (which includes an overall level boost/cut slider) on/off.
    Has only 1 input, but it has a Bright switch (instead of the II's 2 inputs, regular and bright).
    DOES have a 2ohm/4ohm switch.
    DOES have 1/4" out and Speakon out. If I recall the back of mine correctly, it has 1 Speakon and 2 1/4".
  8. jastacey

I believe the model line is SVT II, then the SVT II Premier ( I think they made 250 ), then the SVT II PRO ....
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

hhhmmmm....I was thinking the same thing about the SVT-II Premier being the short-run model before the II-pro...

then I found this
    [​IMG]
    which says SVT II Pro on it; but it is the Premier model. Kind of looks like it functions the same as a standard II Pro, but has a more classic look of the SVT II.

The SVT II Pro that I always refer to is:
    [​IMG]
    which is the same thing as the 2-Pro with the older facia design.

[​IMG]

and finally the SVT II

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. jastacey

I guess they went to the Black push button switches after the SVT II Pro Premier, I noticed that the handles are differant on the 2 photos of the 1990's SVT II Pro
  11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

So, ignoring cosmetics, there were:

SVT II
    SVT II Pro/Premiere
    SVT 2 Pro

Right?

And the SVT II Premiere was identical to the SVT II Pro, it just came first and was made in very limited numbers, before they went into normal production with it and called it the Pro, right?
  12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

I 'think' that is the correct timeline....
  13. Alex1984

Alex1984

The II was made in the mid-late 80's. They are different from the early 90's II in that: it didn't have a back cover and the front looked a little different (stencil "ampeg" + solid "SVT-II" rather than the other way around).

I think '93 was the transition period between II and II Pro Premiere, after that, they just continued with the II Pro.
  14. jason1980's

jason1980's

Okay i'm bumping this one, I gotta hear more! lol.
  15. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I believe the SVT-II weighs 85 pounds, and the Pro version weighs 70 pounds.

I seem to recall reading somewhere on Talkbass that the SVT-II is heavier due to larger transformers.
  16. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
  17. oboylebass

oboylebass

I have a newer, although USA made, SVT 2-PRO. I love this amp. I always run the master at 10 and pull the highs back a bit.

Seems like it starts to sound better after it's been on for 3-4 hours; the tubes start to get really, really hot. It just sort of "opens up".
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd be a little concerned about this. Should only take 10 minutes tops for it to warm up to its fullest.
  19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

You seem to be saying that these things on the 2 Pro are different from the II Pro. Not true; the II Pro has all these things.