BP8 outputs Hi-Lo Left-Right

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Just scored me a BP8 and while waiting for the postie to smash it through my letterbox, i downloaded the PDF manual for a read.

My question is really about the description of the outputs, which are labelled Left / Low and Right / High.

I'm not fully understanding their explanation (consider me a dummy).

I run a 2 channel power amp, so would I use both outputs, E.G. single jack out from Left / Low and another single jack out from Right / High into Channel A and Channel B of my power amp ?

Or should i use a mono single jack out from just one of the outputs, wired into 2 mono jacks so i use both channels on my amp ?

There's literally 1 thread on TB about BP8 outputs, but the question posted was not what i'm asking
  2. line6man

line6man

Wiring a single output to two inputs without proper buffering decreases input impedance.

I don't know what a BP8 is, but from what you have described, it sounds like something with a selectable full-range stereo or biamped mono output. Run it in stereo mode with one output to each input of you power amp.
  3. bassbrad

bassbrad

Welcome to the BP8 users society, mine is back in action these days. While your are awaiting your beastie is a good time to peruse the owners manual [attached below, but I see you have it already] and be sure to get a copy of the cheat sheets.

There are 3 modes of operation for the output. The BP-8 offers 3 output modes to select from: Dual (Mono) mode, Stereo mode, and Hi/Lo (Biamp) mode. Dual mono is good for running duplicate lines like one to an amp and the other to a DI or other device. Stereo is great for all the stereo effects available. Hi/Lo or Biamp is good if you want to run a 2 way system or use the crossover as a lo or hi pass filter.

http://media.musicalplanet.com/pdf/DGT002.PDF
  4. Steveaux

Steveaux

From the Manual:

"Using both Left and Right outputs to run into either two
    amplifiers or mixing board utilizes the stereo effects capabilities or the special Bi-Amping output available in the BP-8."

Page 11 has a further breakdown.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Thanks for that - you are absolutely correct, as this is the description in manual.

i dont normally run through the mixer/PA so stereo is probably a waste of time.
  7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Cheers Brad - already found your cheat sheet while searching Google & TB ( it comes up 1st in the google pages ! )

Since i posted to the other guy, unless i run through the PA, there's no benefit to using just one of the stereo outputs, though for the future, maybe. I dont have a single stereo jack to twin mono jack cable at this moment, and as line6man posted, wont buffering still be required when having one jack split into 2 ?

So i think dual mono using 2 seperate single jack > single jack cables would be the easier route
  8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

So is that stating each output channel is stereo ?
  9. mbelue

mbelue

Each output is mono. Put one to your power amp left and one two your power amp right. Set the output mode to stereo for stereo effects. Set the output to dual mono if you don't. Bi-amping can be fun too.
  10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Cheers mb
  11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Just a thought...in Bi Amp mode, the manual lets you use a crossover on the left / Lo out, which sets it anywhere from 80hz to 500hz.

If I use that setting on the Left / Lo channel for my 1x15, which is on one channel of my amp, could i then set the Right / Hi channel out of the BP8 to above 500hz, for my BFM 2x10 which is connected to my other amp channel ?
  12. bassbrad

bassbrad

That would be a true bi-amp set up and while it is a bit old school hi-fi it can be a very nice sound on a larger stage.

If you wanted to use the stereo effects properly you would need 2 identical speaker.
  13. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Brad, i was thinking more of just taking advantage of the Bi amping crossover rather than the stereo effect, since i have a 2 channel power amp

Does one automatically have to have stereo when Bi-amping on the BP8 ?
  14. bassbrad

bassbrad

No those are just different ways to run your outputs, give the bi-amp set up a try you might really like it. When I am on a bigger louder stage I do like to bi-amp but rarely get the chance these daze.
  15. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Will do - thx for the tips, and the rest of you guys !

Top class !
  16. mbelue

mbelue

The stereo effects are routed to both channels in bi-amp mode. Its the frequency spectrum that is split. Don't be afraid to switch up your 1x15 and your 2x10. You may like your 1x15 doing your highs better. That bp 8 is very flexible so don't limit yourself to our suggestions the world is your oyster. Oh and one more thing, experiment with each of the preamp settings all the way from 0 gain to 100, you will find alot of useful sounds there without even bothering with eq.
  17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Noted, cheers

I have a lot of reading & knob fiddling to do soon :cool:
  18. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Finally came today - that was a long wait. Damn Post Office

Please dont write in about the cabs :) I dont stack em like that at a gig - honest ! My apartment computer / bass rig room is small

[​IMG]

Im loving this foot multi already. Its magic , though i havent managed to find a nice overdrive-ish sound for our Hives track.

The Phaser, Filter, Reverbs / Delays, Chorus, Trem are all awesome.

Even some of the wacky races factory presets are ok, though a slight tweak would be necessary.

One weird thang, its supposed to let ya edit a factory preset, and store it as a user preset, yet i can't edit F5-5 ( beefy auto wah )

All i get in the display - - - -

Any thoughts ?

NB came with the original box and original manual and factory sticker ( unused )
    Usually these are the things that get trashed so i was pleasantly surprised