BRAAAINS!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevteop, Jan 12, 2014.

1. kevteop

kevteop

I get some really nice noises out of my current board but I really need a programmable filter (at least - maybe more programmable-ness) that is reliable for live work.

I've been using the Octavius Squeezer for this but it's not quite doing enough: The ADSR envelope doesn't trigger quickly/reliably enough, and it also has no expression pedal jack (Chunk suggested this could happen in a future firmware update but the last firmware update was in 2010 and there's no indication that any more will be forthcoming).

So ideally I suppose I'm looking for a ADSR 'brain' with patch memory, preferably with both MIDI and CV outs. I'm starting to think I might have to go with a laptop/Max and MIDI controller setup because I can't find anything other than the discontinued Moog MP-201 in stomp format.

Any suggestions? Also is anyone using the laptop approach already and do you have suggestions for crash-proof software for using live? I've looked at Ableton but I don't know anyone playing guitar/bass who uses it.
  2. kevteop

kevteop

3. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Agreed, the retriggering is extremely poor when not in envelope mode. Retriggering is often a poor spot with a lot of filters.

It's too bad about the Squeezer, it has a LOT more potential if they'd just tweak the device more.

Note that a lot of software filters also have poor triggering from fast audio signals. Having the filter built into a soft synth isn't the same thing is triggering a separate filter plugin from an audio source.
  4. kevteop

kevteop

Yeah I thought maybe latency would just make matters worse. :(

What I really want is a programmable Bass Micro Synth!
  5. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Every single time one of those "what pedal do you wish existed" threads pops up, I always pop in to ask for dedicated ADSR filter pedal with presets.

For now, I'll just keep using my BMS, and just keep a paper with settings written down for different songs.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you looked into the newer Source Audio Soundblox 2 series like the Manta? With a dual expression pedal and the Hot Hand, seems like you'd have ultimate control over all kinds of crazy stuff!!
  7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    They're looking for a triggered effect as opposed to a typical envelope follower.

Note that the Roland GR-55 provides all of the ADSR you could want, for both VCF and VCA. And then you can tweak cutoff and attack values based on velocity (envelope) for a lot of playing feel. But only for the PCM synth tones. And of course it's finicky to play, which things triggered from stringed bass guitars always are. Just saying that it does in fact exist.