Brand new low tension flats from......?????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jeffbonny, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Several weeks ago Jason at BassStringsOnline.com let it slip that there was a brand new set of low tension flatwounds coming out from a company he couldn’t reveal. He made a few sets available on a pre-order and I got mine a couple of days ago….still anonymous in plain packaging.

I posted this review in another thread that I guess is dead now so re-posting it here.

I've never seen the burgundy silk this set sports so no clue there as to who made them. No silk at the ball ends. The gauges are: 100, 069, 055, 040. My first sonic impression stringing them was that brand new and unstretched they were similar in tone to the three month old TI Jazz flats that had been on this bass (a new 63 AVRI Precision). Next was the obvious similarity in tension and mass to the TI Jazz set....no truss rod or major intonation changes necessary.

There are some very fundamental differences though and you'd never mistake these for TIs. I want to say La Bellas but I really don't know. They have the same very slightly grabby touch (that goes away with playing) and the core has the same solid slightly un-giving feel of the much heavier La Bella set I've used fairly recently. It's also obvious that over time these strings will give a much more traditional thuddy flat wound sound than even a several year old set of TIs ever will. I love the TIs like no other string but I have them on other instruments and truth is for this bass they have felt a little too loose at times. It doesn't feel like these strings have much more tension but they do have a slightly (but very noticeably) stiffer feel. Whatever the heck they are they might be a good match for this instrument and I'll be leaving them on for a while to see how they break in.

Fast forward another 24 hrs and I've gotten maybe 5 hours playing on them. One thing that stands out is that unlike some flats that have a really annoying initial metallic clang that can take weeks to completely fade these strings are immediately very smooth and even sounding....very pleasing. While they are definitely a traditional sounding flat and will no doubt loose some high end ping (as they already have) there's nothing that makes them unplayable for me right now. Also the grabbiness I described when I first put them on is completely gone.

It's impossible to really judge any flat until it has a chance to break in over several weeks at least but I would say that anyone who likes the low tension of TIs but is looking for a more traditional feeling and sounding flat might want to have a look at this set. So far I'm pretty impressed.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

They sound interesting, but I'd be more interested in a flat that sounded more like the TIs, but with slightly more tension...not the other way around as you describe.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Sounds interesting. No doubt that some people would prefer what "Luckydog" suggests.

Personally, I have no problem with the low tension of TI's and would gladly try out a new flat with a similar tension as but with a more traditional tone.

How will we know when they are available ? :confused:

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Looking a few threads down I can see a clue as to what these strings are.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Only problem with TI flats is the price.
    The one time I purchased them I felt obligated to love them.based on the major investment I made.
    Based On price, TI could use some competition.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Thats what I thought as well.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I have an idea as well, just by putting two and two together from what Jason has been up to. These strings might be just what the doctor ordered!

9. jeffbonny

I doubt many have ever unwrapped a TI Flat and had a look at the construction. If more people really understood how complex they are there would be less complaining about the price.

And as good as they are I don't want to give the impression these new strings have much in common with TIs in terms of feel and sound because they don't.

10. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

They sound cool but it would have been nice if they had different gauges. An 069 A string makes me nervous. I have bigger D strings on some basses.

11. fearceol

fearceol

Yes, they may seem expensive to start with, but when you consider how long they last (I got the best part of seven years from mine).....do the math.

Granted, competition is welcome...if it's actually able to compete. ;)

12. fearceol

fearceol

Care to enlighten us as to what two and two adds up to ? :bag:

13. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

:bag:Four strings....:bag:

14. fearceol

fearceol

:D

Aaaah!! I see !.....so that's the secret.

15. jeffbonny

I don't know if these strings would work for you but one thing I'm dead certain of is they are super even sounding and feeling....these gauges work. Considering it is a low tension set an 069 D isn't at all outta the ball park.

16. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

ahem....just what the....doctor...ordered :D

18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    My guess is Fodera....they have a cool grippyness that fades away on their rounds...and they are kinda expensive for a preproduction that will cost more when they come out.

19. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member