1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Brass Nuts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbd5015, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

Local bass player/builder/luthier friend of mine has brass nuts on all his basses.

He is a jazz fan and has built some of the most awesome looking/sounding jazz basses ive come across. Finally sent my pbass to him to get a brass nut custom made and fitted to it.

I guess the best part about it is that it wont wear out like the original black plastic nut that was in it. Actually, the best part is how AWESOME it looks. Ill have to get a photo of it. He hand crafts these bad boys. Looks like a piece of jewelry, not a nut.

At least to my ears, the open notes sound more full and crisp. More similar to a fretted note, which is a bonus! Ive never been a fan of the open A D or G, but now its not an issue!

cheers,
  2. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Made me think of this scene in The Jerk.

Doesn't Roger Sadowsky think Brass nuts aren't a good choice for some reason?
    Zero frets also help open strings sound more like fretted ones.
  3. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

Didnt do any research on it. Im sure there are pros and cons to every nut material. I thought that brass would be good as it is quite dense (compared to other metals) and the zero fret idea always made sense to me. Figured this is the best way to achieve that same goal.

The jerk is a great flick!!!
  4. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

I have a brass nut on a Danelectro 12 string guitar - makes for a really bright, chimey tone. Hope you enjoy it on your P!!!
  5. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I have one on my Roger waters P bass.
    It is there - I never give it any thought - and as off as this may sound.......I dont' really notice it one way or the other.

The bass plays well - its a very decent P Bass.

sorry - wish i could say more about the nut.
  6. Davo-London

Davo-London

Enjoy your brass nut.

Vive la difference!

Davo
  7. lz4005

lz4005

The problem a lot of people have with brass nuts is that strings seem to bind in them easier than with softer materials. If you lube the slots it isn't an issue, though. (that's what she said)
  8. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I'm getting a brass nut on my Modulus Q5. But not because I care about brass. I'm looking for an adjustable nut and Warwick's Just a Nut is one of the few available. The model I'm looking for where every string is adjustable happens to be in brass only.

There's a debate elsewhere on TB about whether or not it impacts the tone of fretted strings. I'll chime in after getting the bass back.
  9. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

I have one on my warwick and I think it helps achieve that "piano" tone.
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Get a brass nut you have to get a bad ass bridge too.