1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Breach/Raised Fist aggressive bass tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ald0zer, Nov 1, 2013.

1. ald0zer

ald0zer

Hi!!

First post on TalkBass!!! I hope I am in a suitable forum.

I have been a long time admirer of the bass tones found on much of Breach and Raised Fist's recordings, and I am curious to hear your views on how this sound is achieved. What do you think would help to achieve this sound (instrument, amp, fx)?

Here are some examples:

BREACH

I have my own ideas, but I am after any advice from fellow admirers of this sound. Obviously it is quite extreme and won't be to everyone's taste, but any constructive advice would be appreciated.

:)
  2. ald0zer

ald0zer

3. Schweppies

Schweppies

In the context of a home recording studio (which I'm assuming is what you're working with) the easiest way to get this kind of tone is with a DI box with two outputs. The "go-to" box for this kind of sound is either a Sansamp Bass Driver DI or Para-Driver, but anything you have on hand should do the trick.

Basically, you want to record two channels of bass guitar, one being a clean sound and one overdriven. In my experience, it is favorable to make sure that the bulk of the low end and high end attack are on the clean channel and the midrange frequencies reside on the overdriven channel. This will allow you to blend in how much "cut" your bass will have in the overall mix while still retaining clean note definition and attack in the higher frequency ranges.

Gnarly bass tone - Cliffsnotes version:

1: Clean bass channel - Low/high pass gently to taste, cut slightly in the midrange (gets rid of some honky/weird sounding DI mids that make your tone sound nasty)

2: Overdriven bass channel - Cut the bulk of the low/high frequencies so that the midrange is pronounced. Add your favorite flavor of overdrive (plugin, DI, or another pedal if you have it) This channel should sound awful by itself, but blended with the clean channel will add in some gritty mids.

3: Blend the two channels until you like the tone or until it sits in the mix you're working with.

4: BONUS ROUND - If you want to get a more "live" sound feel to the recording, you can experiment with Impulse Response (IR) files. Basically, what this will do is simulate the effect of your tone playing through a live micced cab. There are some free Ampeg 8x10 IR files floating around in internet land, as well as IR loaders (you'll need this to actually use the impulses in your DAW)

And finally, to conclude I'm including a link to a file I just created to give you a rough idea of the tone I get using this method (with the Ampeg 8x10 IR's)

http://soundcloud.com/ryan-bloom/regrind-bass-tone-test-2

Hope that helps!
  4. ald0zer

ald0zer

Excellent post.

I work freelance in a studio, and have a fair bit of experience, but I always like to bounce ideas. Every day is a school day as far as I am concerned.

I have used a method like that in the past (2 channels plus IRs), and it has been pretty effective. I'm also interested in how it may be reproduced in a gigging situation.

The tone on the sample is great btw, but there is still some weird harmonic thing on the Breach recording that I just can't put my finger on...
  5. Schweppies

Schweppies

To simulate that tone live, I run a Sansamp RPM parallel with my Sansamp BDDI into the power section of a Hartke LH1000 where the RPM is mostly clean and the BDDI is pretty sludgy.

As for the harmonic thing you're referring to, at least in my case, I'm able to get a decent result by using the parallel out of the BDDI to go into a Proco RAT or similar distortion pedal and running that signal through IRs or into another cab to get the desired sound. Kind of the same thing, but any plugin or pedal that will get you a kind of buzzsaw drive sound will help really bring out an aggressive character in the instrument.
  6. stajki

stajki

hi dude!
    i was trying to achieve the same sound for a years.
    i had a precision copy, first i changed the PU, later i bought a sunn 300T, and then i got a fender vintage 57 ri precision bass! i was satisfied, and was thinking that the sound on record could be achieved only in studio, cos live, bands like sick of it all, raised fist .... didn't have much difference with my sound, so i quit exploring.
    until during the gig some guy gave me to play over behringer pedal sansamp copy, i was blown away with that ****!!!:eek: amazing !:hyper: i bought the sansamp and that's it! i sound like my favorite bands!!!:smug:

the things you need:

1. good and bright sounding bass guitar
    2. very good bass amp like ampeg svt or similar
    3. 4x10" or best if you can 8x10" cabinet
    4. sansamp!

set it up right and you are ready to rock!:bassist: