Breadboarding your instruments electronics.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thecomedian, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Thecomedian

Thecomedian

I'd considered buying a breadboard so that I could test multiple designs at once with far less soldering and such, having something like a 5-way switch in front of all the different circuits containing caps, pots, etc, in different orders and of different values. The pickups would have some sort of electric quick-connectors like

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231

or http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231

and then connect it to the switch after a terminal strip http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231

allowing fast changes between circuit designs.

Has anyone used this? Would it be effective for finding your own desired instrument electric design?

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I'd suggest using something like a 2P6T rotary, that is, something with two common poles and six rotational positions (left half of the image):

[​IMG]

Use the left common as input and connect the left 1-6 to different electronics or preamps. Then connect the electronics' and preamps' outputs to the right 1-6, and the right common to the output jack. That way you'd be able to rapidly switch between tone stacks and test which one's best.

Maybe you could build it into a small box, connect it using an extremely short (10 cm) cable to a bass with no electronics in it whatsoever (except maybe a blend or pickup selector switch) and attach the box to your strap. The cable'd be short enough not to impact your tone (as longer cables might).

3. Thecomedian

Thecomedian

That's a lot of good info. Thanks :)

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Breadboarding can be a great time saver and it may save components too because endless soldering and resoldering will eventually damage something. If it were me I would hook it all up with clip leads but anything that works for you is good.

Ken

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thecomedian

Thecomedian

lol, im actually playing right now with alligator clips, because I had to tear out the whole wiring and redo it. it was a mess and terrible. Most things are soldered up, but theres a spot I don't want to do until I've got the preamp back in it with the style sweeper.

Maybe what I'm actually looking for is some kind of pedal that is a breadboard, kind of like what stealth was saying with a metal box.

Would the signal be unmodified, unattenuated, etc, if it came straight from PU to output jack, through to the box, modified there, then to the amp?