Breaking curses

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 26, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Well it a almost a new year and always a time of a little more introspection than ususal for me. Things like the "What did you learn in 2012" thread encourage me to take an honest look at where I am at.
    One thing I have learned over the years is that it is possible to break curses that have been spoken over me. I define a curse as something that was said about me that tears me down and that I take in. It is usually something that was spoken repeatedly to me when I was a child, adolescent, teenager that becomes a self-fullfilling curse.
    In my case I was called an underachiever which is another word for lazy. Sometimes the word lazy was used. People said this about me because I got below average grades in school even though I always did well in the so-called I.Q. tests. I have since learned that there were a lot of other reasons why I didn't do well in school. One reason was I basically raised myself, sometimes I felt like a ghost in my family. My parents were not involved in my life in any way. They never asked me about what I was doing in school or if I did my studies. They never saw me play water polo or witnessed any of the medals I won in high school swimming. One exception was Algebra and Geometry, my father loved these subjects and spent time with me going over my lessons. Suprise, I got all A's in those subjects. Now, I realize how much I loved my father spending time with me on this.
    Now I am an adult and I am responsible for what I do and the past is not an excuse, so it is good for me to ask myself things like "Am I really lazy?" I did some things spritually and had counselling to break that curse that was spoken over me. I also went back to college in my 50's and had a 3.8 GPA. I was between careers and carried a full load for three semesters surrounded by a bunch of 20- somethings. It was great :hyper: . I am over simplfying this but there are too many details to go into here. It was more than just school though. Anyway I no longer belive that about myself, in fact I know the opposite is true.
    There are other things like this that I no longer accept, I also don't have to believe everthing people say about me. Just one more step to freedom.
  2. LarryO

LarryO

You da man !
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Self-awareness and accountability. Changed my life around, and was the end of being defined by how others saw me.
  4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Have you read the book The Four Agreements? I don't buy all the metaphysical stuff in there but there's some valid stuff along the lines of what you're talking about
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Get some Curse-Be-Gone. Available where all fine poultices are sold.
  7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Some people just say mean thing cause their ,well ,mean...

I used to let it bother me .

As I get older I know better and do my best to blow it off and forget it.
    By no means do I ever engage ,think of them as a fisherman ,,,don't let them hook you
  8. slobake

Magnanimous Costso size.
  9. slobake

Haven't read that. There is a spiritual angle I approached this from but that is not necessary. It's good to break free of lies we believe about ourselves and to be aware of what we say to other people, especially our children.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler

I don't believe in spirituality, the western definition of karma, curses, voodoo, or any of that stuff.

I've never been happier than I am now. I've taken drastic steps in the last few years to shed any and every person who was a drain on me in any way (basically selfish people who didn't contribute in any way to our friendship). Instead of keeping dozens of acquaintances who call themselves friends, I stay in touch very very much with a very tight circle of *real* friends who'd do anything for me (as I'd do anything for them).

My BS detector has never been more accurate which has saved me from worry, stress, and/or drama countless times. I've also learned to keep work at work which has made a huge improvement in my life as well.

None of those things happened overnight but the payoff from all this hard work (and dozens or hundreds of quick & painful situations akin to ripping off band-aids) has truly revolutionized my life. I wholeheartedly recommend these changes to anybody who isn't happy and wonders how that could be accomplished.

Wish I had known all of this 20 years ago. I'd probably still have hair. ;)
  11. slobake

That's what I'm talking about. Good work Stratmangler. Sorry about your hair.:p Now I am working on being a person who speaks things that build people up. Sometimes that includes being real with someone, but in a way that doesn't tear them down but encourages them.
  12. LarryO

LarryO

Don't believe in superstitions.......its bad luck