1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

'Breaking Into Doing Youtube Videos'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Not looking into doing any cover tunes, Just looking at posting a few styles of my playing, tones of my bass and a few sweet licks here and there. Along with the gear I use. But my Question is based on, what all would I need in doing this, as I've never done it before. And don't even know what all I'll need in doing this. But the biggest thing is making sure I can and know that I've got super clean tone. Seeking help from any of you guys that have done this before. Please list all that I'll need other than my bass, laptop, and amp gear. Thanks. :help: :bassist:

2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

The Zoom Q4 (? - I think it's that one) is your easiest answer. Just put it up on a mic stand (you'll need an attachment, too) and you're good to go. It'll be as good as your playing, and there's essentially no editing or anything. Here's an example of that: - it's from a jazz jam that I sat in on, and put up my Q4. I'd avoid most cheap video recorders, as they're made for everyday use by non musicians. They'll put weird compression on the sound, and it never is good.

There's a few others that are similar to the Q4. I think Roland and Tascam have sound recorders with video added, too.

If you want it to look good and sound professional, then there's a myriad of other better cameras/video recorders that have better video (although not much better sound), and you may want to look into video editing programs if you want decent looking titles and such.

3. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Hi

Like all things, there's more than one way to do it. I use a medium-grade camera (about $300 from somewhere like Best Buy), a good quality digital recorder, and Sony Vegas software for mixing the audio and camera angles.

I think for instructional stuff, more than one camera view is helpful. What kind of stuff do you plan to do?

4. Fuzzy Dustmite

Fuzzy Dustmite

I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 (<$100) for camera and just use the software the comes with it. I plug my bass & ipod into a Korg Pandora P4XD and use the out of the P4XD into a splitter to headphones and the line in of my computer. I choose the video from the camera and the line in for the audio in the Logitech software.

I don't do any mixing or editing, so I don't know about that stuff. Plus I just do covers, so I'm not going for greatness. But it works for me...

5. Register to disable this ad