'Breaking Into Doing Youtube Videos'

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Never done this before, Don't even know what all I will need. Outside of the bass I'd be using laptop, and Amp gear. Other than that I have no clue. It's all new to me. Any guys out there willing to help me get going. It would be a big help to me. :bassist: :help:

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

if you have a mac try final cut pro x and a video camera that generates compatible files, the mac should have garage band which with a di and interface is a pretty useful audio tool

3. ManuelJG

ManuelJG

I'm new to this too, right now I'm using my iPhone to capture the video and I record the audio with my interface, then match it using iMovie.
    The hardest part was learning to use iMovie, once I sorted that out, everything became easier...
    I recorded this one today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2mDlIS974

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

I really, really, really want to do clever videos for my music, but I'm having a terrible time finding good discussion forums to help with this complex technical stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

There is no easy "quick" way to produce a quality music video for YouTube. There are two aspects to this task: sound and video.

First you need to bone up on recording good audio. In most cases it will simply require capturing the sound of your bass with a DI, but if you are demonstrating the sound of cabs, you'll need to become good with capturing mic'd sound. You'll need audio processing software to honing the sound. I prefer Presonus Studio One, but there are a lot of options here.

The video aspect requires some expertise in operating a videocamera (preferably in HD), using lighting equipment if you're shooting indoors, and learning to use video editing software (I have used several packages and prefer Sony Vegas Movie Studio on my PC). In some cases you might need to use a green screen, which adds an extra layer of complexity but provides professional polish to your video by controlling the environmental imagery.

You'll also need to learn how to sync your processed audio files with your video files because prosumer video cams are awful at capturing sound. Sometimes this can be done manually, or you can chose to use an outboard preamp to capture the quality audio signal into the video cam. Ultimately the synching will occur in the video processing software.

As I said, there are no quick ways to learn all this. It takes time to study up, experiment, and acquire the multifunction skills. You'll need to earn this as no one can hand it to you on a silver platter. And speaking of silver, prepare to spend some dough on the gear and software to make this all happen. Doing it "on the cheap" will be sure to result in a cheap-looking video.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

I'm mainly thinking about fairly high-concept music videos, if somewhat lo-tech in the hardware department. I generally know what I want to do, I just need to know how to do it -- and some extra hands.

I've sort of parted company with the video guy who was going to produce my videos, so it looks like I'm very much on my own. :(

Anyway, Americans are such utter jerks and competitive cork-sniffers about any kind of gear, it's ridiculous, and they rarely produce any significant product beyond snobbery. I've been amazed by the videos kids in eastern Europe do with practically nothing -- some cheap pocket cameras an American wouldn't use for a paperweight and whatever warez they can scrounge for the editing and effects. It's really startling to see what people with actual artistic vision and a little effort can do even in the absence of money.

I'm like, "How did he DO that?!?" :eek:

On the Reaper forum a couple of years ago I saw a really nice basic performance video a guy did of his duo. I asked him about the studio, which looked expensive, and he said it was just his garage with some cardboard over everything with some green paint on it. The lighting really looked like a pro studio's though. "Oh, that? It was just some of those 500W halogen shop lights with the grilles off. Got 'em for five bucks each at a garage sale."

It's humbling, I'll tell you. It makes me ashamed of myself.

I'm going to reverse my usual plan of overbuying and underutilizing for a change and try to work with stuff I have until I know I need to move up to do what I'm trying to do. What I need at the moment is know-how and help in orientation before I start throwing money at anything.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Good luck. Google.com is your friend. Now get to work.

9. Andy_D

Andy_D

If you have a DAW that supports video editing. I have Reaper which I know supports editing but not recording of video. You can record your video with with a decent quality video camera while simultaneously recording audio in your DAW. A popular method is to use something like a hand clap at the beginning of you audio/video (you may need a separate track just for this purpose), then import your video into your DAW and zoom in on your audio audio wave forms for the clap on the DAW and the clap on the audio from your video cam If you have zoomed in far enough you should be able line up both wave forms within a few milliseconds of each other. Close enough that the eye can not perceive the difference. There are several You Tube video's that illustrate this. Here is one that I thought was well done.

Hope this helps you.

10. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro Banned

I got a new Nikon P520 and all I did was load to my computer. Drag to desk top and load to youtube. If I can do it anyone can.