Breaking "Pirastro Pizzicato" gut core strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MrMontenegro, Dec 9, 2013.

1. MrMontenegro

MrMontenegro

About a month or 8 ago I put Pirastro Pizzicato gut core strings on my double bass. These are nice strings, easy to play, I like the sound etc etc but strange enough, the strings keep breaking ... even when I'm not playing, I mean they somehow just tear apart. G-string was broken already twice, D-string once.
    The local bass shop owner doesn't have a clue about what could be happening, but they don't make any problems and give me new strings. However, now I feel somehow fed up with it & I am thinking of replacing them by Rotosounds.
    (I play slap and pizz.)
    Any comments .... ?
    tx
    Mr M
    Antwerp, Belgium.
  2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Sharp edges at the bridge?
    Lubricated with soft graphite?
    Nut slots too narrow, pinching strings?

Where do they break?
  3. MrMontenegro

MrMontenegro

tx for yr reply, no sharp edges, graphite OK. Strings always break at the top, yesterday the G broke let's say where you play the A note. don't remember very exactly about the first two times (D and G) but it was approx there too.
  4. TonyD

TonyD

I have a Pizzicato D string here - never used it. Maybe you would like to trade it for something else. I live in The Netherlands - so we are basically neighbours. You can have the G-string (bad windings on this!)...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Bummer considering the price of these strings!
    I have a Chorda G thats built like a tank- same company, different string- im considering swapping the rest for the Carlos Henriquez set!
  7. labravajazz

labravajazz

Yes the Chorda are much more reliable IMO