Brescian?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BakerJ, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BakerJ

BakerJ

I'm looking to buy a new double bass to play while earning a master's (I'm not near any shops where I can go play them beforehand). I narrowed it down to Upton's Brescian hybrid and Lemur's Laguna. I've heard good things about Lemurs (and it's cheaper), but the Brescian seems like it would be a good investment. I was wondering if the two were comparable and what the pros and cons of each were?
  2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Where are you??
  3. BakerJ

BakerJ

South Carolina
  4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Both are reputable dealers and both fine instruments. I owned a plywood Laguna that was really impressive and own a deluxe hybrid Upton Karr. You might call both shops and see how you feel after the conversations.

Also Dustin Williams in Nashville would be an option or this (Grant Hull has a very good reputation):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f144/custom-built-hybrid-sale-1017900/

Louis
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

At your level, I think you really should do a hands on search to find the right instrument. If you have to take a drive, or fly to a good bass shopping city, it will be well worth it knowing you bought a bass you like and can work with. That being said, I did play a fully carved Brescian recently and it was impressive.
  7. BrettBelanger

BrettBelanger

I'm in SC too, I would go see Bob Beerman in Greensboro, NC at the Bass Violin Shop. I've bought two basses from him. He's a great guy/luthier with a good selection of basses you can try.
  8. jmacdbass

jmacdbass jmacdbass.com, openmusiccollective.org

for less money you can get a nice shen fully carved with a roundback rogeri or even less money a Wulter fully carved, both a lot of basses for the money
  9. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

If you were closer I'd be tempted to brag on the Shen (I'm selling one :)) but I will say the Brescian is a great bass. I bought mine to replace the Shen Willow.
    It is big in size and it has big/dark sound. It has kind of a dual personality in that pizz, it sounds a little more like a ply (big fat, less defined) but arco, the sound of the carved top really comes out. Still big and powerfull but more defined.

Upton's setup is nice too.
    I do wish they would use mooridian bags and ebony adjusters, but those are minor and subjective gripes.

Not sure if I played a Lemur hybrid at the ISB but I played some of theirs and many others and I haven't played a hybrid I liked better than the Brescian. I did like the Upton Mittenwald a little more but it was fully carved and lots more $ as it was configured.

Good luck

10. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    PM Sent.
    BG
  11. jessg

jessg

I have a Brescian, my two cents is that I love how the body feels resting on me. (Not in bed.) So preference, preference, preference.. but I'm overly satisfied atm. Hindsight, I would have appreciated playing and comparing.
  12. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I agree that you need to drive and play basses till you find one that speaks to you. I did that at the beginning of my masters.

Im glad i found the bass i did.

IF i were you i would consider a bass from KC strings as well. a fully carved bass for 5600 bucks and they are incredible.