Brian Bromberg slapping/popping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Dec 14, 2012.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Uh, so there are some slapping/popping technique threads.
    If you have seen Brian slap with his thumb, it looks normal. But, when he does a pop , it looks like he's magically pulling up on the string to pop. His fingers remain completely open instead of hooked. I'm kind of mystified. :confused:
  2. Rev J

Rev J

3. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

So, I get what he's doing with his right hand - he's never popping with his index finger because he's using it as an 'axis' to rotate his thumb and middle finger around. What *I* can't figure out is what in the world he's doing with his left hand IN CONCERT with his right hand in order to get all those notes in there so effortlessly :)
  4. Tupac

Tupac

The secret is he uses his middle finger. Flea uses his middle to pop too, I'm a huge advocate of it. Index slapping never felt right after months of using it, as soon as I switched to middle, I felt "ahhhhh".
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Hmm, so the last digit of his middle finger is hooked.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    He's also an ex drummer so it figures into his technique as well. He does quite a lot of 'hammer ons' with his left hand. As mentioned above, he pulls off with his middle finger. By the way, I love when he bends notes! Funky!