1. Welcome to the premier online bass player community and classifieds!

Register a free account to remove in-screen ads.

Brian Bromberg slapping/popping technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Dec 14, 2012.

1. placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Uh, so there are some slapping/popping technique threads.
    If you have seen Brian slap with his thumb, it looks normal. But, when he does a pop , it looks like he's magically pulling up on the string to pop. His fingers remain completely open instead of hooked. I'm kind of mystified. :confused:
  2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
  3. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    So, I get what he's doing with his right hand - he's never popping with his index finger because he's using it as an 'axis' to rotate his thumb and middle finger around. What *I* can't figure out is what in the world he's doing with his left hand IN CONCERT with his right hand in order to get all those notes in there so effortlessly :)
  4. Tupac

May 5, 2011
    The secret is he uses his middle finger. Flea uses his middle to pop too, I'm a huge advocate of it. Index slapping never felt right after months of using it, as soon as I switched to middle, I felt "ahhhhh".
  5. Sponsored by:

6. placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Hmm, so the last digit of his middle finger is hooked.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

He's also an ex drummer so it figures into his technique as well. He does quite a lot of 'hammer ons' with his left hand. As mentioned above, he pulls off with his middle finger. By the way, I love when he bends notes! Funky!