1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Brian Odgers......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MILLHOUSE, Feb 21, 2002.

1. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

A few years ago I went to a Van Morrison concert (one of many that I've attended). At this gig, he had a great line-up - inc. Pee Wee Ellis, excellent horns, vibraphone, oboe. The bass player on the night was introduced as Brian Odgers. He was fabulous......busy, but sooo melodic, his timing and phrasing were just a joy to watch and hear!
    But who is this guy?
    Dunno anything about him, where he's from or what band/artist he might have played with previously.
    I would be grateful for any information you may have.
  2. nikolas Chelly

nikolas Chelly

He was the bass player of Melody Nelson from Serge Gainsbourg:hyper:
  3. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

I remember hearing him on a Marc Bolan recording and my jaw dropped. He is spectacular.
  4. freddysdaughter

freddysdaughter

A bit off topic, but Brian Odgers is actually my godfather and I lost contact with him when I was a child and my father died and my mother moved us to America. If anyone has any idea how to contact him, his agent, or any information on how to reach him, I'd be SO grateful!
  5. The Owl

The Owl

Brian played on John McLaughlin's classic first album "Extrapolation"
  6. billio0104

billio0104

is this the same brian odgers who was a member of apollo 100 in the early 70's?
  7. frankie5string

frankie5string

Yup same guy...
  8. erik_ghoulet

erik_ghoulet

Melody Nelson is fantastic. I saw a Van Morrisson performance on Austin City Limits several months ago and was impressed by the bassist; I believe he was using a Casady (or similar) with what looked like foam muting. Wonder if that was Odgers, or perhaps someone else...
  9. csbarry

csbarry

Brian Odgers was a member of, for lack of a better term, a short lived lesser super group called Sweet Thursday that included Jon Mark, Alun Davies, Harvey Burns, and Nicky Hopkins; yup, that Nicky Hopkins. The group produced one self titled album in 1969 that is most remembered for its last track Gilbert Street, a "moody, evocative, ten minute long progressive rock radio turntable hit" (Wikipedia) that featured well in the Billboard 100. Good stuff, check it out. Vinyl hard to come by, CD's becoming harder to get all the time, manufacturing has ceased.
  10. Da_Grump

Da_Grump

He played on quite a few Elton John albums. Also Georgie Fame, Roger Daltry, Lou Reed, Carly Simon, Marc Bolan, Al Stewart, Shawn Phillips, Vangelis, and more. I suspect he was one of the worlds top studio bassmen in his time and probably plays on more well known songs than we realize. Huge sound; he is a planet and his tone is outstanding. I recommend listening to Al Stewart - Past Present & Future with a good sound system. I also am struck by Shawn Phillips - Second Contribution. His involvement in these projects says a lot about his talent. I'm a big fan and would love to know more about him.
  11. frankie5string

frankie5string

I'm pretty sure Melody Nelson was Herbie Flowers...
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the liner notes claim it's brian odgers on melody nelson, but the music writer jean-claude vannier and herbie himself say it's herbie.
  13. frankie5string

frankie5string

It's entirely possible there are two takes of the same song - one with Odgers and the other with Flowers... those two were constantly bumping into each other. Herbie claims at least a few of his tracks over the years were re-done by others the moment he walked out of the studio, and vice versa... ;-)
  14. jim L

jim L

I happened to find this website and saw your message if you still want to contact Brian I will pass on your details to him all the best jim L
  15. jim L

jim L

I happened to find this website and saw your message if you still want to contact Brian I will pass on your details to him all the best just let me know:hyper: jim L
  16. BEEFHEART

BEEFHEART

He didn't play on Serge Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson (that was indeed Herbie Flowers), but Odgers played on the L'Homme A Tete De Chou album, which has some of the most melodic basslines ever laid down.

For example, Flash Forward: .

Cool doesn't even begin to cover it...
  17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

this thread is great. i need to get some serge gainsbourg.
  18. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

great album, does anyone else think it was partly inspired by wish you were here? the bass sounds like it has rounds on it.
  19. jim L

jim L

jim L;9135882]I happened to find this website and saw your message if you still want to contact Brian I will pass on your details to him all the best just let me know:hyper: jim L
  20. Uli Twelker

Uli Twelker

Brian Odgers played for Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames, and in the process graced some fantastic albums with the man: ALL ME OWN WORK (Reprise 1972), GEORGIE FAME (Island 1974), RIGHT NOW (Pye 1978) and THAT`S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR (Pye 1979) come to mind. As far as I know, and this is confirmed by sax man Alan Skidmore, Brian does not play bass at this time, but is very much missed and revered by his peers. His reputation is excellent, his inspiration limitless.