Bridge for EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Would different species of wood make a notable difference to the sound on a solid EUB using a pickup/transducer mounted on the bridge? (Playing acoustic guitar/banjo different bridges made of different woods do make a different sound). Same for a solid EUB?
  2. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Yes, absolutely.
    Not only the species, but the shape, height, choice of transducer, the way it's mounted, etc...
  3. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Many thanks eub_player for your reply. Have you tried different bridges on an EUB? If so what were you happy with?

Any other TB members experimented with bridges on a solid EUB?

Just as a point of interest: On some makes of guitar they have metal bridges--which I would have thought was a 'no-no for overall sound.
  4. scojack

scojack

I tried a few different on mine, walnut, ebony, maple, rosewood.... just what was lying around...might just be my bridges are solid but i can't say i noticed any obvious differrence at all TBH.
    Ian
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I would say that the shape of the bridge generally has a larger influence than the material as long as the choice of material is not too extreme (i.e. maple vs. ebony).
    Too hard (ebony) is not good, so better concentrate on the shape than on exotic bridge materials.

For guitar and banjo bridges, you probably cannot vary the shape very much, I think, so choosing different material makes sense here.

You might get better advice from the professional bass builders, that might show up here soon ...
  7. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    You really need to make your own experiments, Mike.
    Results are not really predictable.
    Too many variables.
    And yes, I've tried a lot of things since a couple of decades. :)
  8. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Thanks everybody for your input to my question--bandsaw at the ready------------