1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bridge ground wire.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DavidJ88, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DavidJ88

DavidJ88

Hi im new to bass and decided to buy a cheap one to repaint. However in my zeal I filled in the hole for the bridge grounding wire, and now that its completely painted and finished I have no idea where the hole for the wire is. Has anyone any ideas about how I could find it again? Its a washburn mb4 bass, if anyone has one could they check under the bridge to see how far from the back of the body the hole is exactly? that could give me some kind of basis on which to look. Thanks.

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Try looking for clues on the underside of the bridge. There should be a trace of where the wire used to live.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Insert the proper size aircraft bit in the body from the cavity and rebore the hole to the top. That is the way it was done at the factory. Some masking tape on the top at the bridge will be some added insurance against tear out or paint damage.

This method does not require x-ray vision to find the hole from the top.

4. pfox14

pfox14

Yeah, I agree. Just re-drill the hole.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Or run a strip of copper or brass over the top of the body from under the bridge to under the nearest pickup where it would be tied into the electrical system where you would normally attach the bridge ground if it was running through the body.

If you wanted to get fancy, pick up some copper desoldering braid, flatten you out a piece long enough and use it instead of a strip of solid material.

7. DavidJ88

DavidJ88

Yeah redrilling the hole worked, for some the reason I thought the hole would be curved up to the bridge because of the angle but I guess you learn something everyday cheers