Bridge help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BanjoKing, Oct 26, 2013.

1. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

I have a 1980's Epiphone short scale SG, the Action on the E string is alot lower than the rest of the strings and makes a brutal buzzing sound, its a factory 3 point bridge and I was wondering if anyone had Any Ideas before I buy a new bass

I tried to upload pictures but it won't let me, I'm assuming its because I am a new member? How do I get permission to upload pictures on here?
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

The cheapest way to remedy this is to deepen the other 3 grooves to match the E string... I have had success with this by raising the bridge up so that the lowest string buzzes very lightly, when digging in - then deepen the grooves on the others 'til they act the same, then raise the whole thing up 'til it's where you want it... Basically, you're "adjusting" the bridge to better follow the fretboard's radius...

A more expensive option would be to buy a Hipshot bridge for it - but that's a bit too spendy for one of those basses, IMO...

Odds are good that your bass could benefit from a fret leveling job - but again, cost vs benefit...

Lastly - there is no special requirement for posting pics - you probably have to use a host cite, like with most forums...

- georgestrings
  3. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

I cant lower all the grooves cause all the strings will buzz, and if i raise the bridge the action on the other strings is way too high, ill try to figure out how to post pics and upload them
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    One way to individually adjust the saddles on the three point is with shim brass. I have various thicknesses lying around I just cut a small piece to fit in the channel that the saddle sits in and it will raise the string and not affect the others. Works like a charm hope that helps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

I tried that with plastic but it made a buzzing sound, I will check the scrap metal bin and see If I can find some brass
  7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    When you cut the brass it will curl make sure to tap it flat so the saddle seats nicely.
  8. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Yeah I have small punches here, thanks for the tip
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Read what I posted again, and think about it - you're basically lowering the other slots to match up with your E string and the fretboard radius, then raising the whole bridge up to set your action... I did my T-bird(same bridge type) that way, and although it was time consuming, it worked out very well...

- georgestrings
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Best idea.
  11. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Heres the pics I was trying to post, anyone know why the bridge was made like this? Its hard to see in the pictures but it was intentionally made like this, I have the same problem on my Kent model 834

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383011656.798160.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383011718.130079.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383011737.736462.jpg
  12. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Here is my 834 with the same issue and this one I cant shim because the adjuster screw wont line up with the threads

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383011871.479636.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383011890.418834.jpg