1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bridge Mono Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Codydwagner, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Codydwagner

Codydwagner

So currently I run a hartke hydrive 410 with SM500, and I am wanting to switch to a separate pre/power set up. Im leaning towards a DB659 and Crown XLS1500. My question is, to run the amp in bridge mono, do I need to rewire the cable going into the amp AND the cabinet? do I need to rewire the connections in the cab? I know nothing about wiring, any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Pretty close to what I'm using. You'll need a Speakon - Speakon cable with one end (amp side) wired +1, +2. The cabinet end will be wired the more conventional +1, -1. You'll also need to reconfigure your amp to "Bridge / Bypass" unless you feel you have the need to roll a high pass filter (50 hz is the lowest she'll go). Chances are that you already have a cable available, possibly with Speakons already installed. Even a spare length of ~14 gauge speaker cable will be handy....the Speakon connectors can be purchased at any reputable music store. Check what you have on hand, buy what you need and get back to us for addt'l direction.

Riis

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

50Hz cutoff is a really good idea for bass, you'll save your speakers and get a louder, cleaner sound out of the rig with no real loss of perceived low end.

if there's a clip limiter or anything in there, don't use that; a little "grunt" is OK, and again allows for a stronger, louder rig.

(i'm going off experience with old-school QSC amps, where these settings were available via DIP switches on the back. setting the cutoff to 30Hz instead of 50Hz made for a more distorted, actually weaker sound through the same big 6x10 cabinet.)

4. Zooberwerx

Tried that myself but the 50 hz filter appeared to blunt the low end a bit more than what I experienced with the QSC RMX series...but then again, they're two different animals. I found no sig difference when the clip limiters are activated. FTR, I also use the Drivecore with Acme cabs and the 50 hz filter actually creates a bump further up the spectrum or so I've been told by those more knowledgeable.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Codydwagner

Codydwagner

the cable that I currently have has nlf2c connecters on it. I wouldn't need a nlf4c, would I?

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the power amp has a dedicated bridge socket the 2 pole plug will be fine. If not then the amp end of the cable will need to be changed to the 4 pole variety. You will need to clearly identify the amp end as it won't work t'other way around.

8. Zooberwerx

Think you need the 4 pole. The Drivecore carries the bridged power via Channel 1 output on +1, +2.

Riis

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Yep - agreed!!

10. Zooberwerx

No big deal. They're 5 bucks at any store and we only need one as the enclosure end requires no upgrade / modification.

Like Paul said, mark the bridged end clearly!

Riis

11. Codydwagner

Codydwagner

Cool. Thanks for the help. If I bought a 4 pole cable, would It hurt my cab? how do I know if my cabinet will accept the 4 pole?