1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bridge pickup for a Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by markxander, Apr 1, 2012.

1. markxander

markxander

posted this in the basses section, but it occurs to me that it makes more sense here....

2. afzoomie67

afzoomie67

If you want my opinion, and if it were to work.. I would put a G&L L2000 pickup at the bridge. It has a coil split, so you can from humbucker to single coil if you choose to do so.
  3. markxander

markxander

I get the feeling that pickup would totally dwarf my Mustang pickup in output though
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator

String spacing may be a concern - IIRC the Mustang is narrower than the standard 3/4".

If money were no object, I'd get Larry at Aero to make a matching set, Mustang for the stock spot and Musicmaster for the bridge (correctly-spaced, of course). Sort of like P/J but totally it's own awesome thing. Kind of like the Mustang! :hyper:
  5. astack

astack Supporting Member

Bump.

Just thought of this yesterday, too, and kind of surprised there aren't any examples of it done. My thought would be a single coil guitar (strat?) replacement pickup (essentially a Musicmaster or Bronco pickup). Unfortunately there are 100's of options and no track record of them being used at bass bridge pickups. :p

The biggest problem I see (once you have pickup in hand), assuming you're using a spacing similar to a Jazz or P special, you'd have to notch the bridge plate to fit the pickup. Doing it tele style with the pickup in the bridge plate would be too far and butting up against it even would be too close to the other, I think? With the MM/Bronco bridge, you'd be clear though.
  6. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits
    I'm thinking about adding J pickups at the bridge and neck of my Mustang just for grins and as a demo/prototype also for personal use.

I think Joe Bardens are rail type so the spacing would not be an issue. Recently read that some of the other J pickups (SGD and maybe Bartolini) are rail type.

Not much room in that cavity though. Might have to go to a Marcus Miller style PG or put switches on the horn.

Gotta decide if I'm keepin her first though. Thinking about switchin her out for another J and any body work would cut the value.
  7. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom Theme Guitars for Donation to Non-Profits
    Instead of adding pickups I decided to put in a 3 band Audere Pro Z preamp....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]