1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bridge pickup precision bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 4bassguitar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

have decided to to turn my squier p bass into a double precision bass. I have been told to use a higher output pickup in the bridge, and to reverse the location of the bass and treble coils. My neck pickup is a Bill Lawrence Wilde P-46 (awesome sounding p pickup btw). The p-46 replaced a Dimarzio model p, which I am deciding to use as the bridge pickup. I originally replaced this pickup because of the high output causing my amp to clip. Through many hours of reading talkbass threads I hear many wire dimarzio pickups in parallel to omit this issue. How would this work in the bridge position? Should I keep the pickup wired in series? I'm using a rotary switch as a pickup selector. Advice would be great thanks
  2. unclebass

unclebass

recently had to do repair work on my fender blacktop jazz bass with double precision pickups. It seemed like both pickups were the same, the resistance on both pickups were identical.
  3. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

See I know the model p is hotter so I'm wondering if wiring it in parallel will even the two outputs
  4. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I doubt that, "high output", was causing your amp to distort, more likely how you had the gain structure configured.

I agree about reversing the coils, so that the D/G coil is farther from the bridge, than the E/A coil.

To get the outputs of these pickups more even, either do it physically, balancing them by adjusting the height under the strings, or by having separate volume pots.
  5. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

I feel that would be where the model p would be great in the bridge seeing that one can raise or lower the magnet height
  6. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

So no parallel for the bridge pickup p?