Bridge problem??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThePoloHobo, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a '12 MiM FSR Jazz Bass. I just had it set up by a tech less than a week ago because my E string sounded really dead when fretted. It sounded fine until yesterday, but now its dead again. I have to set the action ridiculously high to make it playable. So is this a result of the cheap bridge? I noticed the uh.. the things that hold the string up will move up and down. Would a Badass II be worth the investment? What are some other good bridges out there?
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

"The uh things that hold the string up"

You mean the saddles and screws?

Do the saddles keep dropping too low on you after playing a while?
    Or
    The saddles slide around while playing?

The stock bridges work fine if you know what to do with them. But a badass certainly is an ok thing.

Sometime a string gets twisted when installed and it can die. However if raising your saddle brings it back, then your saddle screws need some attention with locktite to prevent it from turning from the string vibrations.

We need a better description of your problem to give advice.
  3. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo Supporting Member

Media:
    Sorry I had a brain fart, couldnt think of the name..

Basically my e string sounds muffled and dull when fretted, and a lot less volume than the others. Sometimes the notes can barely be heard around the 8th fret. A recent cold front did warp the neck a bit but the tech fixed that also and it's pretty straight. Maybe a tad bowed in. I already ordered the Badass II because I don't like my E string saddle changing my string spacing.

I'm not sure if the screws are vibrating up and down.
  4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Could just be a dead spot. If its just at the 8th fret, its a dead spot. A bridge problem would cause fret buzz if it was slipping.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Also make sure those saddles are straight in height. Meaning, when you look down the neck at the saddles, one side of a saddle isn't lower than the other. If one of those saddles is crooked like that, it can wreak havoc on the string spacing and all around set up.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sounds to me like your pickup may be too close to the E string and is muffling it by magnetic interference with it vibrating. Try taking a measurement of the distance from string to pickup, then lowering the pickup on the E side by about the thicknedd of a dime or penny.

I don't know why this would have changed, but it's possible you have a loose screw on one end of the pickup and it has vibrated loose, allowing the pickup to move upwards.

It's also highly possible that I'm 200% wrong.