Bridge Question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaRQsiDe, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

Hi everyone,

I would like to replace the old bridge on my bass. The old bridge doesn't lock the ball-part of the string, the string passes through the bass and balls get stuck inside the bass itself. I don't know if this is advantageous, but having a bass that is defretted and xl scale from the get-go, it becomes extremely hard to find flatwound strings that will fit the bass (Now using NS design strings for their uprights, which doesn't feel right...)

I was looking at the Hipshot A-style bridges (looks economical) but I am not sure if this bridge holds the ball part of the string.

I am open to suggestions...

2. jesusrocksbass

jesusrocksbass Supporting Member

I have a Hipshot A style on my jaguar and I do love the sound however it took quite awhile to set up and tweak. I am a rookie at it but, it normally doesn't take me that long.

I don't think you can ever go wrong BAII.

3. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

Main question is that my current bridge doesn't hold the ball end of the strings (so I think it's called "string through body"). I am needing a bridge which will hold the ball end of the string - allows me to "string through bridge".

I hope I got the nomenclature right and it's more clear :)

4. jesusrocksbass

jesusrocksbass Supporting Member

Both the Hipshot A style and BAII do that. They do not string through the body of the bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    You need to replace the damaged string thru ferrule in the body.

7. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

The problem is not the ferrell per se, it is to shorten the distance from the ball of the string to the tuner, bypassing the body-through completely, so that I have more options on strings to plug into the bass. It's a 34" scale but with the body-through configuration, even some of the XL scale strings are short. On top of that, it is a fretless and I love the sound of flatwounds... That's the dilemma.

8. cnltb

cnltb

I have a Naimish bridge on one and a hipshot vintage steel bridge on another.
    Both work very well.
    At the moment I'm just a big fan of the hipshot equipped 4 string bass...a fantastic sounding '51 style P bass.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Ah! so your real issue is this:

"I have a bass with string-through bridge and I want to get rid of the string-through feature to expand my options in strings. I am considering the Hipshot A-style bridges because they look economical, but I am not sure if they hold the ball part of the string."

That sounds reasonable to me. I believe that the Hipshots do indeed use the ball as the anchor point on the bridge. I also suggest that if there is any question about the design, you call Hipshot - they are very nice on the phone and will surely provide the info you seek.

10. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

People will better be able to make suggestions if you post a pic or at least the model of your bass. There may be a direct replacement that won't require modifications or drilling.

11. Pilgrim

Agreed. Bass make and model are needed, plus a photo would be helpful.

12. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

13. Pilgrim

Interesting! You have an unusual bass, and if you don't use the string-through feature, you're both defeating part of its design and creating a rather obvious cosmetic issue. Both may be well worthwhile as far as you're concerned. I'm also a fan of flats, so I can understand why you are seeking alternatives.

I might suggest that seeking flats in extra long 5-string sets might be a good option. If you play flats, you probably only need one new set every few years, as they last a long time. Maybe you can find strings that you like instead of changing the bridge on a very nice bass....?

I did some checking at Juststrings.com and I found these D'Addarios in super long scale: http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ecb81-5sl.html

And these Fender 5's - although I'm not sure they're long enough for string-through: http://www.juststrings.com/fnd-9050-5m.html

Some Rotosound extra longs: http://www.juststrings.com/rts-rs77el.html

And these TI 36" scale strings: http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf365.html

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it's mostly just d'addarios that are too short for string-through-body basses unless you order their "super long scale" versions.

+1 to not trying to alter that bass, it would be an ugly process.

15. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

What Walter said. You don't want to mess around with that setup, looks good.

16. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

Allright, so it is a design/functionality thing that you don't recommend playing with the bridge. Can you please elaborate why? Wouldn't the vibration of the string that produces the sound is from the bridge to the nut in the neck? What are the advantages of the string-through?

17. Pilgrim

The string-through argument assumes almost religious aspects. Some believe it really benefits the bass sound, others don't think it really matters. I belong to group 2, but I don't think that abandoning it is desirable. It's there, the bass is designed to use it, the hardware all works with it, so why not use it?

That 5-string bridge isn't going to be the easiest thing to replace, and if you do, you'll have very visible open holes on the bass. You also may have trouble finding a bridge that keeps the strings a similar distance above the body and fretboard, which directly affects the action. Don't discount how much of a problem that could be.

The path of least resistance is to take advantage of the design the manufacturer built into the bass and find strings that work for you. Then you avoid a fair amount of work and expense, and you maintain the cosmetics of a nice bass.

Do any of the strings I linked appeal to you?

18. walterw

right; whether you subscribe to the magic of string-through or not (i like the idea myself) on your bass changing that set up would be major, messy, expensive, ugly, resale-killing and not easily reversible surgery.

19. DaRQsiDe

DaRQsiDe

Thank you all for your input, you have convinced me to get super longs and keep the old bridge :) We'll see how this baby will sound with new electronics :)

20. Pilgrim

That's a nice decision, and one that doesn't burn any bridges. Good call.

21. walterw

so to speak :hyper: