bridge replacement for a weird old teisco

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ngh, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ngh

ngh

[​IMG]
    that is what she looks like, (not mine just a picture i found on google)
    long story short the bridge is a serious POS and needs to be replaced. anybody have experience with these basses?
    if so do you have any replacement bridge ideas?
    I would not be opposed to drilling through the body to get a string through set up or any other kind of mod. as long as the bridge sounds good, is intonatable, and the string spacing is right.
    i will post pictures of my bass soon and measurements.
    this is my main bass recently so i would be willing to pay for the right part.
    :bassist:
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Whatever you get, it's gonna need to be pretty flat unless you want a ton of shim in the neck pocket.

Had a similar bass that the previous owner installed a Badass I on, I guess because of the custom string spacing. Action was a mile high with the saddles bottomed out.
  3. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

That looks similar to a bridge I have hanging around someplace. If that is like other Japanese basses from the same era I have messed with, the body is thin. Like, very thin. I am having to shim my replacement bridge up to get the action right.

More importantly(IMO), what is the string spacing on your bass? That will limit your choices and let you focus on the height thing. Good luck!

-Jake
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

if it's not actually broken, then the right part is already on there!

seriously, anything else will be too wide, won't fit without destructive alteration, and won't improve anything anyway.

i mean, are you gonna rout out the pickup holes and put EMG soapbars in there? [​IMG]

a bass like that doesn't really get "improved" with generic modern parts, it just gets what made it cool in the first place lessened.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ngh

ngh

i love the way it sounds and plays. I just think an intonatable bridge would be a plus. I'm not trying to make this thing play and sound like a sedowsky, i just want it to be gig able, and intonation adjustments are a must for me when it comes to taking a bass on tour.

sounds like the same bridge, the thing that worries me is that the bridge is so high, it might be hard to find a good intonatable replacement.
  7. walterw

why won't it intonate? i can't really see that picture, but it looks like it has 4 saddles.
  8. ngh

ngh

no, one vary roughly cut piece of steel with a bend in it for compensation. i can never get the intonation quite right across all four strings
  9. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I have a similar Decca (Teisco rebrand) that I love & play a lot! It sounded great with the original 2-saddle bridge, but it would not play in tune up the neck.

I replaced it with a vintage style threaded-barrel Fender type bridge. The threads allow you to change the spacing and it's about as low-profile as it gets without routing the body. It's important to dowel-fill any mounting holes if necessary (too close to new holes), but otherwise a 10 minute job.

It is worth noting that while the intonation and playability are now much better, the tone of the instrument changed just a little. It lost some of the unique 'twangy' vibe and gained some low end fundamental.
  10. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Yep. Same bridge. Looks like it should be close, but it was never perfect on the bass I had it on. If you find one that will fit and be able to be set up correctly let me know. If I recall, in the original application of the one I had, it had a cover on it. Maybe if you get one working(like the adjustable Kahlers or something) you can throw a cover on it to keep the retro vibe.

Scotch, were you able to get close to the 2" or so total string spacing this kind of bridge has?
  11. scotch

Disclosures:
    Yup, I got the closer spacing of the original & match really close to the pickup poles.
  12. scotch

Disclosures:
    Congrats on the bass! I love thise Teisco hockey-stick basses!
  13. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Thanks scotch. I will keep that in mind for the future. Plus you could still throw a cover on to hide it if you wanted. It`s not what I want on the bass I`m updating now, but I never know what I will end up working on.
  14. walterw

we gotta see a closeup of that!

maybe different saddles can be used with the original plate or something.
  15. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I don`t have pictures of mine, as I wasn`t super proud of the bass it was on(I never cleaned the years of junk off until I decided to refinish). It was definitely just a bent piece of potentially sharp metal on two screws/springs though.

Not sure if you could use different saddles or not. Mine is roughly 2" overall string spacing, and a lot of height. Totally different from regular "modern" bridges. I am thinking maybe the fender bridge with the threaded saddles would work(as was suggested earlier). Of course, with enough metal working skills, anything is possible.
  16. walterw

so essentially one adjustable saddle?

i gotta think something with a smoother shape and the right contour for intonation could be fashioned out of a chunk of brass, maybe.
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Why not just get a Fender bridge with threaded saddles?
  18. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I think a Danelectro would blend in perfectly with the instrument. Same era, similar looks.

[​IMG]
  20. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

I think I would just drill this for Fender saddles & screws.

Attached Files:

21. walterw

aha.

it looks like the real issue is the way that saddle bends forward under the G string, placing it well ahead of the D; most of the time the G is parallel or even slightly behind the D with proper intonation, as the G typically is wound with one layer while the D has two wrap layers.

i'd think a flat piece of brass stock or something could be easily made that has the right profile, which could then get mounted into the original bridge plate and still be moved forward or back to get the overall intonation right.