1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bridge saddle screw missing..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    This is the oddest thing.. I just replaced these strings not too long ago and that screw was there.. it had to be.. I never did a setup on this bass when I changed the strings and I was getting a lot of buzz on the A string so I figured I'd take the time today to do it .. I discovered that screw was missing when I went to adjust intonation on that string..

[​IMG]

I have no idea when it came out or how.. The screw is nowhere to be found in the house or in the case and with the strings on there I don't see how it could have backed out on it's own.. Very odd... Are those screws standard or will I have to go to the manufacturer.. ? How will I know if this will fit?

2. skot71

skot71 Guest

Take one of the other screws out and take it and a saddle to a local hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot. Probably get one to fit. Be a lot cheaper than the AllParts saddle and screw/spring. Maybe use a spring out of an ink pen?

Another idea would be to go to a local music store. They may have one in their spare parts.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    With any luck it's a 6-32 screw. Metric may be a bit harder to find but Lowe's has a pretty good selection. As was stated above take the saddle with you.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    I don't see where there's a screw missing. I do see 4 holes in the bridge plate for stringing through the body. Am I missing something?

5. It took me a second look. The middle string's intonation adjustment screw is missing.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Thank you! I missed that too. Should be easy to replace---along with the spring. That might mean the threads in the saddle are a bit large, if that screw worked loose.

I suppose one could use blue Loctite on the intonation screw...or replace the saddles if needed. I like the threaded saddles for fine adjustments.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Do you have the spring?

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    As an update .. I found the screw... I had a rehearsal tonight so I took another bass and the screw was somehow in the seam of the bottom of the bag.. weird..

9. Turnaround

Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    WOW! It's so obvious too. Better get my glasses checked.