Bridge saddle screw missing..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

This is the oddest thing.. I just replaced these strings not too long ago and that screw was there.. it had to be.. I never did a setup on this bass when I changed the strings and I was getting a lot of buzz on the A string so I figured I'd take the time today to do it .. I discovered that screw was missing when I went to adjust intonation on that string..

[​IMG]

I have no idea when it came out or how.. The screw is nowhere to be found in the house or in the case and with the strings on there I don't see how it could have backed out on it's own.. Very odd... Are those screws standard or will I have to go to the manufacturer.. ? How will I know if this will fit?

2. skot71

skot71 Guest

Take one of the other screws out and take it and a saddle to a local hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot. Probably get one to fit. Be a lot cheaper than the AllParts saddle and screw/spring. Maybe use a spring out of an ink pen?

Another idea would be to go to a local music store. They may have one in their spare parts.

3. mongo2

mongo2

With any luck it's a 6-32 screw. Metric may be a bit harder to find but Lowe's has a pretty good selection. As was stated above take the saddle with you.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    I don't see where there's a screw missing. I do see 4 holes in the bridge plate for stringing through the body. Am I missing something?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustDavid

JustDavid

It took me a second look. The middle string's intonation adjustment screw is missing.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Thank you! I missed that too. Should be easy to replace---along with the spring. That might mean the threads in the saddle are a bit large, if that screw worked loose.

I suppose one could use blue Loctite on the intonation screw...or replace the saddles if needed. I like the threaded saddles for fine adjustments.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Do you have the spring?

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

As an update .. I found the screw... I had a rehearsal tonight so I took another bass and the screw was somehow in the seam of the bottom of the bag.. weird..

10. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    WOW! It's so obvious too. Better get my glasses checked.