Bridge saddle springs vibrating!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mldavis, Dec 14, 2013.

1. mldavis

mldavis

As the subject says, when I play the A strings on my Mexican Fender Jazz bass, the strings seems to vibrate the spring on the bridge saddle. I've tried moving the string slightly as it seems to be touching it slightly, but it still vibrates!

When I touch it, it stops. Is there any way I can a top this without buying new bridge saddles?

Thanks

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses

Remove the spring, stretch it out, replace.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    Or stick a sliver of foam rubber inside the spring next to the screw. That's how you dampen trigger return springs in some guns.

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

I had a buzzing issue where I thought a spring was vibrating. Touched it, it stopped. Turned out it was actually a saddle screw that didn't have solid contact with the base of the bridge. Less than 1/4 turn clockwise took care of it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

This is exactly what I was going to say. Just take the spring out and stretch it a bit until the saddle compresses it more when you put it back on. It won't be able to move or rattle anymore.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    Only problem is that stretching a spring can damage it. It may or may not make a difference, this isn't a nuclear reactor or anything.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yup - stretching a spring will sometimes make it lose tension over time...

In this situation, I've had luck with rotating the spring 'til it quit making noise, and making sure the saddle was pulling all the way from the baseplate...

- georgestrings

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yes make sure the saddle screws are set tight to the bridge plate.

10. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

+1 I have had this happen a lot. Definately tighten the screw. Just turn it by barely applying any pressure, and you should feel the very light resistance when it's fully seated.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I also saw a neat trick a tech did was to give the Phillips screw driver a tap with the palm of you hand to seat the screw to the bridge.
    You will even hear it pop if its not seated. This keeps it all nice and tight back there.

12. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

I do that all the time when I intonate if I have to slide the saddle towards the neck. I unscrew a little, give it a tap, and check it. Works like a charm. Although I find myself straightening the saddles afterward as they all get skewed.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Yup - you also don't change your intonation settings that way...

- georgestrings

14. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

I have to assume you're being sarcastic, assuming you've read my reply. Although I have been known to make too many assumptions...

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

No, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic - just agreeing that you can reseat the intonation screws without changing the intonation settings any... I didn't mean to stir anything up, to be honest...

- georgestrings

16. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as harsh. I just don't see how the method you quoted would keep the intonation. Turning the screw, yes; tapping the screw, I am open to reasoning. Again, I tend to assume a lot.

17. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

If none of the above suggestions work remove the offending spring and see if that's really the problem. If the rattle goes away you could leave it off. If a spring is rattling it's not doing anything anyway. The only thing those springs really do is keep the saddle pushed forward when there's no string tension on it. It's not like those wimpy little springs have the force to move or hold the saddle in place against the tension of the string.

If the spring is just too short and you don't want to remove it you could get another spring from a repair shop's junk drawer and cut a small piece out to add compression to the existing one.

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i have done this before. it works.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

No prob - if it was properly intonated to begin with, tapping the screw would just return it to that position, whereas turning it would change things...

- georgestrings

20. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

Ah, I see what you mean. Like if the screw didn't turn in the first place, the saddle just slides a little. Thank you for the new way of looking at this. Although how the saddle may shift, idk. Guess I'll run some mental simulations to figure out how it might happen. Actually, I need to get to the edge of space before I can think of other things. 500 trillion trillion lightyears out, and still going. Ya know, maybe I should just take a break from that and just work on the physics of bass saddles... I'm rambling, aren't I? Sorry...

21. aprod

aprod

I had this problem with my P-bass and ended up removing the spring. I was afraid the intonation screw would move but no problems.