Bridge screw broke off in body.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Dec 27, 2012.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I have a parts P that I was re-stringing yesterday and I noticed that the bridge was so rusty that one of the saddles split in half. So in the process of taking the bridge off, the mounting screw right behind the A saddle broke off at the head. Almost the entire length of threads is stuck in the body. What should I do? Drill the hole out and glue a dowel in and then re-drill the hole? Since its a parts bass I'm not really concerned about the finish, and it'll be under the bridge anyway.

As of right now, I put a replacement bridge on and strung it up and it seems sturdy, but the perfectionist in me wants to fix it. Any thoughts?
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

can you grab whats left of the screw with vicegrips and carefully un screw it?
  3. thedudebrah

Nah, it's down there in the body maybe 1/16th". Maybe two threads came off with the head of the screw.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'd carefully drill it out, put a dowel or some tooth picks in with glue and redrill.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. James Judson

James Judson

This is how I'd do it. Start with a tiny drill cuz that drill will want to go down beside the old screw so you will have to make several holes till you can get the old screw out. Then clean it up with the right size drill that fits the dowel your gonna use.
  7. thedudebrah

What about drilling a few small holes around the perimeter of the existin hole just enough so the top of the old screw is sticking out? Maybe then I can twist it out with pliers and clean up the hole and re-drill/fill.
  8. David Jayne

David Jayne

9. thedudebrah

10. jbrooks

jbrooks

11. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Brass tube man, copper isn't strong enough! Brass! ;)
  12. thedudebrah

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yep, hollow brass tubing, file teeth in the end, set the drill in reverse so it might grab the screw and back it out without having to drill all the way down.
  14. walterw

oh, and what the hell??
  15. Maz

Maz

Easy out

Every man should own a set of these anyway.:bag:
  16. 96tbird

^

^ of little use on a thin shank bridge mounting screw.
  17. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Except that they work with something that has a hole in the middle, either pre-existing, or drilled. No good for this problem, as described.
  18. Maz

Maz

They get down to pretty small diameter if you get a good set. Just saying. It's not worth arguing over I guess but I've pullled machine screws as small as the avg bridge screw. Seems silly to me to jury rig something when there are tools that will do what you need.
  19. 96tbird

Well, machine screws= metal
    Wood screws = wood

Wood working techniques differ greatly from metal working techniques. The tube method was shown me when i was young by my grandfather whom was a carpenter / cabinet maker since the 1930's. No jury rig, no argument. If you want to drill a center hole in a 1/8 (max) screw shank to use an easy out, go ahead; no argument. Our screws will be removed and you'll still be fiddling with yours. No argument. 8)
  20. walterw

awesome!

i know it's the way to do it, but i like that it has real "roots" like that!
  21. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, I do own a good set up them - in *this* case, they're definitely not as effective as the brass tubing deal...

- georgestrings