Bridge swap

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Does it look like I can swap the higher mass bridge from the modern player on the left to the MIJ on the right?

Should I?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

While it looks like the hole patterns might line up just fine, it also looks like the end of the bridges don't end the same distance relative to the mounting screws. That might translate to intonation issues if you're thinking of simply using the same screw holes. And then the obvious thing that they're different sizes so while the larger bridge would probably cover up and indentations on the finish of the smaller bridge, the reverse would not be true.

What are you wanting to accomplish buy making this bridge swap?

3. eukatheude

eukatheude

Lossen the strings and see whether they fit. You might run into intonation issues but it will take 10 minutes of your time to undo it.

Don't forget to record before/after samples for our enjoyment.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

No good reason I suppose. Maybe to get more sustain. Primarily cuz it looks cooler.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

It looks like the distance from the mounting holes to the saddles is very close to the same- shouldn't be any intonation issues.
    The overall length of the bridge only affects the covering of dents, as prev mentioned. It may also affect the use of tapered strings due to the distance from the ball to the saddle contact point.
    Some cast bridges don't allow the strings to be lowered as far as ones of stamped plates, so that could be an issue- just measure from body to bottom of string by the bridge and look to see if there's still adjustment room.