1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bridge upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I picked up a used MIM Fender jazz. I assume the bridge is fairly cheap.

1) Is the one that comes on this crap?

2) What exactly will a new, better bridge do for the sound of the bass?

3) Any suggestions on exactly what I should replace it with?

4) How difficult is it to do for someone who's not the least bit handy and only owns a hammer and a few screw drivers?

[​IMG]

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

There's nothing wrong with the stock bridge and replacing it will make only the slightest of differences, if any. I wouldn't bother messing with it unless it's actually giving you trouble.

3. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Gold Supporting Member

"There's nothing wrong with the stock bridge and replacing it will make only the slightest of differences, if any. I wouldn't bother messing with it unless it's actually giving you trouble."

^^^ This will likely be the most common answer you'll get. I'll agree that if there is nothing wrong with the original bridge then you really won't notice much difference if any when you replace it. BUT if you want to change it, go for the one you think will offer the adjustability you want and/or the one you think looks best on your bass.

I personally like a more substantial bridge than the stamped Fender. Hipshot, Babicz, Leo Quan and others make direct replacements that will more or less screw in to place of the old one. They all have their fans and their haters. Just search Tb and you'll see.

4. unclebass

unclebass

I agree that you will not hear much difference if you replace the bridge. Only reason that I have found to replace bridge is if you are a very aggressive player and have problems keeping saddles from moving side to side. If that is the case, then look for something that is a direct bolt in no drill replacement with saddles that are held tight in place. I have a Blacktop Jazz bass which has a heavy solid bridge and that may be a possible solution.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

I could give a poop about aesthetics. If it won't make it sound better than I'll leave it alone. Thanks for the opinions.

7. Dean N

Dean N

+1 on the "leave it" vote.

8. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

Yeah.. I'm with the leave it vote unless it's giving you tuning or intonation problems or maybe you catch your hand on the height adjustment screws. The only bridges I ever had problems with were a Schaller roller bridge which i noticed was contributing a slight fizzing sound to the highs and a bridge on a JayDee Supernatural where the saddles rocked from side to side slightly. I couldn't hear any side affects from the latter and sold the bass on because it was too big and heavy for me. I have a badass that I will be selling on because I thought it looked wrong on my p bass and didn't make much if any improvement.
    I dont attack my bass like a maniac though. A punk player may have more issues with stability and tuning.

9. Bobster

Bobster

One thing you will frequently see endorsed on TB is moving to vintage threaded saddles.

They won't much (if any) difference in sound. But will allow you to have better control of string placement, and help you use leverage to hold the saddles tightly together to maintain string spacing.

The would replace the current saddles on your existing bridge. Simply unscrew the old saddle using the intonation screw and replace.

All the best,

Bob

10. JMimbs

JMimbs

I changed bridges only because the stock MIM bridge saddles kept dropping and throwing my intonation off. I got a Babicz bridge because the saddles locked. It looks cool, arguably increases sustain, and is very comfortable to rest your hand on. But if your stock bridge is working fine, you might as well leave it.

11. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    +1
    This is what I did also, simple, cheap, and quick, and nice on a Jazz bass as it allows you to center each string for each polepiece pair.
    Didn't notice any change in tone, fwiw.

wraub

12. Gorn Captain

Based on what I'm reading, I'll leave it alone. The strings stay put, and surprisingly for a used bass, the intonation is spot on. I'll leave it be.

13. Batmensch

Batmensch

I hate to be the cliche guuy, but, ...
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I would only change the bridge if it wasn't working right.

14. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Yep. Enjoy your new bass. ;)

wraub

15. all_grown_up

all_grown_up

Funny, doesn't that look like the bridge on Jaco's bass?

16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

+100,000,000

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think you'll be fine with the stock bridge.

18. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

I need to do this for a bridge but am having trouble finding a source for the replacement threaded saddles; do you recall where you purchased them? I am finding sources for the whole bridge, but just want to replace the slotted saddles with threaded ones.

thx!

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i wouldn't mess with it if you can intonate and your strings are pretty stable

20. bumperbass

bumperbass

Bump for this. Where is everybody buying JUST threaded saddles?

21. bumperbass

bumperbass