Bridging head to cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JoeD85, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JoeD85

JoeD85

So, been lurking forever and finally joined (Weyhey!)
    First post and a (I hope not entirely) stupid question:

I have a Line6 Lowdown HD400 head and a Genz Benz 210T-CC cab...(Not the best, but the head fits the cab's rack perfectly and the range of tones suits my cover's band)

From what the manual says the head is rated 400 watts @ 8 Ohms (200 per channel) when both channels are used, but when a single channel is used it's 200 watts @ 4 Ohms.

The cab is rated 350 watts @ 8 Ohms.

So I'm guessing I'm actually getting closer to 100 watts total power from the head as it is? I have no idea.

So here's the stupid bit:

Is there any way I could bridge both outputs to my cab?

The only minor issue if I can do this is the head's outputs are Speakon and the cab's input is jack, so I'm guessing I'll have to wire up my own cable(s).

Cab data: Link

Head Manual: Link

If anyone can help me or tell me "NO! That's stupid!" then I'd be extremely grateful!

Many thanks, Joe

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    From the manual page 8: "Warning! Do not use a Speakon Cable labeled “BRIDGE MODE” with the HD400"

Other info: That head does not have multiple output sections. It has a single output with two parallel jacks rated for one 4 ohm or two 8 ohm cabs.

There is no informative data on the amp's output other than line 6's website listing it as having "400 watts" output power. I'd assume that's peak, so 200w RMS at 4 ohms sounds right. So it probably does 100-150w RMS at 8 ohms.

If you want more volume/power, get another identical cab. Otherwise, you can't really change anything about the rig.

3. JoeD85

JoeD85

Cheers man.

I did see the warning but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway (They put warnings on everything)

Guess it's time for a new head cause there's no chance I'll get a second cab into the car.

4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! That sort of warning is the kind you need to heed, lest you blow up your amp!

Best of luck in the search!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mbelue

mbelue

Its a nice cab but VERY bulky for a 210. You could sell it and get a 212 nearly the same size. Would also be substantially louder.
    A 210 in that configuration will always be a limiting factor. The attached "airhead" will always make things more difficult packing than a loose head and cab. That was the #1 reason I sold my BAM210. Too big and heavy for its output.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 a 210 is not much on its own, but a 212 can be pretty loud. I'd swap the 210 out for a bigger, better cab.