Bright white body paint that does NOT yellow over time?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matthew_84, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Hello all,

As the title suggests, I'm looking to possibly paint one of my basses bright white, but I don't want it to turn yellow over time.

Also, I'll be hanging it on my wall, so keeping it in a case is not a desirable option for me.

Is there any sort of a paint or finish that will keep the bright white paint the same color it was right after it was painted?

Thanks,

2. freatles

freatles

The standard answer for oil painters is "titanium dioxide". My 2 cents.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Automotive urethane, if you have spray equipment.

4. WOLFTOWER5

WOLFTOWER5 Supporting Member

I was going to say automotive paint also. My buddy works at an auto body shop. He took his old Kramer Randy Rhodes V and painted it Cadillac black, then masked of the strips like Rhodes had and repainted it in the Cadillac Ice Pearl White. Plus another 7-10 coats of clear with wet sending and buffing in between. Took him almost 2 months to finish it. Just an hour every night after work. But I will tell you this, from 20 ft, it looks like it glows and when your right up on it, it's like a mirror in the finish and the flake in both the black and white paints just shine in amazing fashion.

I was thinking of refinishing one of mine to a solid Ice Pearl. He told me that the actual paint and materials would be about $50 dollars. It's the time and patience to wet sand and polish constantly that takes a toll. But the end result is flat out amazing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Ditto..

7. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Who would want this. The yellowing is the best part. This is like hoping your child's a midget so it stays small and cute. The yellowing is maturity.

8. Beej

Beej

Auto urethane...

9. Hopkins

My feelings about white basses are the same as my feelings about my teeth. I want them white, not yellow.

10. redboy1975

redboy1975

I'm a pro painter and everything that's painted white yellows with time especially when subjected to ultraviolet light even white tattoo pigments . Automotive clear oat is NOT the answer but they make a UV automotive clear coat that will RESIST yellowing . That's as good as it gets . It gets applied the same way and mixed the same way as well usually a ratio of 2.1 depending on brand . Give it a shot !

11. Beej

Beej

Err, whatnow? No one said auto clear, we meant auto colour paint. My 94 Cherokee is still bright white and has lived outdoors in the sun it's entire life. No yellowing of consideration to be had...

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Usually what yellows is the clear coat and not the color itself.

13. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

+1.

14. Hopkins

I was suggesting a white single stage urethane. No clear needed at all.

15. redboy1975

redboy1975

Beej , your jeep has yellowed whether you see it or not . If you put a dot of the original color on your paint you'll see it's changed more than you thought . I go through this every day of my life . Yes it's the clear that yellows not the paint . Mostly because the clear isn't 100% clear to start with , most clear has a slight amber tint and some have more than others . I agree with the single stage white for sure . I assumed from the original post because of the yellowing it had clear coat already on it . My bad . If anyone is interested automotive clear coat works fantastic for guitar finishes over paint or bare wood if you can handle spraying it .

16. Hopkins

Yeah, I pretty much use automotive urethanes exclusively now.

17. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Thanks everyone for your input.

Initially, I was looking for something I can do myself, but I do not have spray equipment.

Would the cheapest option just be to find some local auto painter to blast it with a single coat? I would do all of the prep work and sanding/polishing.

Thanks again, this is all very much appreciated.

18. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    A single coat won't do it. You'll need a minimum of two. Then you'll need to sand and hit it with a clear coat or five. Sand again then buff and on and on.

Getting specific color on instruments is expensive and complicated for a beginner.

As a beginner, I ought to know.

The easiest and least expensive way is to job the whole thing out to someone with the proper equipment and skills. You might think three hundred or so is pricey for what seems like it should be a simple thing, but it's really not.

If you want to learn how to do it yourself, that's a whole different story.

19. Hopkins

If your prep work is good, you can easily get a good finish out of one coat of an automotive urethane. A single stage paint does not require a clear.

Matthew_84, go to a local body shop and ask them if they can spray your bass for you. White is common enough that they most likely spray it every day, so they could probably throw a coat of white on your bass while they have the car in the spray booth. They probably won't beat you up to bad on the price.

20. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a tendency to over-complicate things. I'm glad there is an easier way.

21. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

If I want a yellow bass, I'll paint it yellow, not white.