1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bright without Finger Noise?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stepswork4me, Feb 19, 2013.

1. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

How doable is it? Are there strings that provide the bright sound of round steels without finger noise? I know some of you will speak of technique. I play mostly with my finger tips except with chording. My style is up and down the neck quite a bit for harmonics and tapping so I'm really just looking for string possibilities.
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

I ue DR coated punchy and no noise. I also use GHS Infinty Steel coated. Bassstringsonline have the GHS for $8 a set. Just got two and will get two more next week.
  3. stepswork4me

I'm normally a DR guy... I've got Black Beauties on my acoustic but that noise is still very present.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

GHS Pressurewounds.
  5. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

+1 Pressurewound rounds. Other than that, find that fine line of compromise with your hi freq eq that gets you your brightness but lessens your finger noise.
  6. stepswork4me

So, maybe try out the Roto 55's? I'm a steel guy, also. Any recommendations on pressurewound steels? Like I said, I'm a DR guy and have been for 20 years. Hmmmm....
  7. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Alloy 52 = Nickel Iron Alloy... 48% Iron / 52% Nickel

Since Iron has magnetic properties, Nickel Iron strings tend to have more output than Nickel Plated Steel or Stainless Steel. Nickel iron Alloy also is more resistant to corrosion so Nickel Iron strings tend to have a longer live than SS / NPS strings.
  9. stepswork4me

Dig, I just restrung with hi-beams. When they die I won't have any issue with putting out $29 for a set.
  10. stepswork4me

Thanks for the help.
  11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I also have DR Black Beauties on one bass. Love the sound but hate the finger noise.

Best compromise - Elixirs.
  12. martyonbass

martyonbass

I have liked S.I.T. Silencers. Pretty good bright sound and quiet on the string noise.
  13. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

I find D'Addario chromes perfect for a bright sound with no finger noise.

Mind you, I haven't tried as many different strings as many other guys on TB, maybe there are even better ones for this purpose.

For me, for now, chromes are the ones.
  14. Toptube

Toptube

S.I.T. Silencers are one of the few strings I've found that legitimately help with finger noise in a predictable way. They are a little grabby, though. If you need to play really fast, you may not like the feel.

DR's Dragon's skins do a good job of muting finger noise and still feature a decently bright sound. For Contrast: As much as I like elixirs, I don't feel like the coating reduces finger noise at all. Though I'm not really looking for that and I don't think they advertise that, either.

Even a differently voiced nickel roundwound can help. DR's Sunbeams seem to have a brilliant/dazzling quality to their highs (Elixirs are similar) which isn't always so great for finger noise. I find Roto's nickels or Webstring's nickes to have highs that are focused on a slightly lower frequency and therefore aren't as noisy with my fingers.

GHS progressives are pretty bright strings----but they are the smoothest feeling roundwound I have ever touched. I think they are technically a pressurewound. The smoothness may help with finger noise.
  15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. Chromes will do exactly what you want.
  16. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

There can be grounding issues with coated strings!
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Here's a completely different approach...Roto 77's. Steel flats, yes, but they sound like Roto 66's w/o the finger noise. I just strung up my first set yesterday, but they're coming off as the tension is too high for my tastes. They aren't for everybody.
  18. stepswork4me

High tension sucks for tapping and vibrato.