1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Brightest Ever Bass Strings...ever

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shibby!, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shibby!

Shibby!

i'm wondering wat the brightest sounding bass strings are, i've heard D'addario prosteels are bright but is anything brighter?
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

IME, a toss-up between Dean Markley Blue Steels and DR High Beams.
  3. HEADLE

HEADLE

Hi-Beams. No Question.

H
  4. calebbarton

calebbarton

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing: Pedals, Cables, Instruments.
    high beams are pretty bright, i use them on a regular basis.
  5. PBass101

PBass101

Rotosound Swing Bass are the original bright, piano-tone bass string, and with the proper right hand technique, will get you a very Geddy Lee/Entwistle-esque brightness.

They don't last long, though.
  6. Shibby!

Shibby!

how long do the hi beams last though?
  7. 20db pad

20db pad

Depends on the player and body chemistry, but Hi-Beams are the longest-lasting strings I've ever come across in 20 years of playing.
  8. Shibby!

Shibby!

9. markdavid

markdavid

Ive used Danelectro bass strings before and despite being nickel they were probably the brightest strings ive used
  10. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I'd still go with the Pro Steels.
  11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

oh ya,,, High Beams by far
  12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

hi beams are extremely bright. those things are harsh! pro steels do not compare at all. IME
  13. sal4bass

sal4bass

Another vote for DR High Beams.
  14. SchecterC4

SchecterC4

I've been using DR Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams for years and both are wonderful, and both contrast very well with each other. Lo-Riders with smooth, rich lows and mids, and Hi-Beams with bright and punchy mids and highs, much brighter than the Ernie Ball, D'Addario or GHS strings I've played.

It's generally true that you get what you pay for, and the premium for any DR string is worth it IMO. Using the Marcus Miller signatures right now and they slap great. :D
  15. Shibby!

Shibby!

thx for the help i decided to try out the dr high beams ..they are great exactly wat i was looking for
  16. RomancintheTone

RomancintheTone

DR High Beams are just pure birghtness, but they get smoother really slowly as they break in. The D'Addario Pro Steels are more full sounding, but they wear out more suddenly. That's one reason I've always loved DR strings. Round core to the max! Also Rotosound makes some really metallic sounding roundwounds that sound really tasty. The Rotosound and the DR's sound really good through a tube amp to warm out the harshness into a nice growl.
  17. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Fodera strings are the brightest I've ever used, but the thin core wasn't to my liking. I'm a big fan of Hi-Beams, and I use them on my Sadowsky. Interestingly, to my ears, they're not quite as bright as the Sadowsky strings...which is actually why I went with them.