Brightest Nickel Rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lo-E, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Lo-E

Lo-E

The title pretty much says it all:
    I'm looking for a bright sounding nickel round-wound string.

I have a couple of basses that could use a little more zing in the tone department, so I'd like to try some different strings on them.

I currently use D'Aquisto nickel rounds on most of my basses, which are pretty neutral, even-sounding strings in most cases... just not on a really warm sounding bass.

I prefer the feel of nickel strings to stainless steel so before I get a lot of "For bright tone you need to use stainless steel strings." replies, I'll counter in advance with "No, thank you. I've tried SS strings, used them for a few years and I just don't care for them". I'm perfectly okay with nickel-plated (rather than pure nickel), but I'd like to stick with a nickel surface.

Extra credit goes to anyone who also has longevity info on said strings!

Thanks in advance for any input.
    -E
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Wow, D'Aquisto! You don't hear much about them anymore. I tried them years ago before they went out of business..they are quite dull sounding. I didnt like them at all.

You might like D'Addario XL's. I find them TOO bright and prefer DR LoRiders, but for the price D'Addario's are pretty good if you want a bright string. DR's are deeper and punchier which is why I prefer them.
  3. deeptubes

deeptubes

I prefer a bright string. Been using D'Addario nickel rounds for 20+ years.
  4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Thanks for the reply, mmbongo.

D'Aquisto has not gone out of business to my knowledge. The guitar company, yes. The string company, no. As far as I know, it's a very old, continuously owned family business.

I've never found their strings to be particularly dull sounding on any of my other basses. In fact, I always found them to be pretty similar to XLs, but I can always try a set of XLs again just to be sure. It's been a few years since I've used them.

I don't actually mind deep and punchy - especially the punchy part - I just want some bright top in there, too.

In other words, I want it all! :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

You sure you're thinking of D'Aquisto?? :)

The string company has only been around since the 90's and was indeed out of business last time I checked. Website is gone, phone is dead, and nobody sells them anymore.

You can look at the internet archive and see their website before it went down that it started in the 90's:
    D'Aquisto Strings, Inc

If you want it all (don't we all??) you might lean towards DR strings.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

Circle Ks are pretty darn bright, brighter than most SS strings IMO.
  8. Lo-E

Lo-E

mmbongo, you appear to be right on all counts. Don't know where I got my misinformation from....

You and Deeptubes are both voting D'Addario, so I'll definitely give them another try.

Duckwater, I've read many references to the Circle Ks here on TB. I'll have to give them a try, too.

Thanks, guys! Keep 'em coming. I'll start warming up the credit card.
  9. mmbongo

Well, this won't help: :)
    Welcome to Bass Strings Online - Your Custom Bass String Shop...

That's the only place to buy strings. Selection and pricing is second to none. But what gets me is the custom string sets. You can build anything you want..balanced, top heavy, bottom heavy, drop tuned...anything in the custom string section and you're not limited to just one brand! He's got several brands available as singles and it's great for experimentation. Jason feeds my string addiction!

PLUS if you register on his site and tell him you're a TB user, you'll get VIP pricing and other special deals :hyper:
  10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Cool. Thanks. I've already got his site bookmarked. I've had good luck ordering from JustStrings, too.
  11. mmbongo

I haven't ordered anything from them since I found Jason's site. Jason has better selection, better prices, and he does not jack up the shipping charges.
  12. deeptubes

deeptubes

+1 for basstringsonline.com
  13. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

My vote for bright nickles is D'Addarios also, and bass strings online is the cheapest you will find them.
  14. Lo-E

Lo-E

I've emailed Jason and we're deep in discussion. :)
    Thanks for all the info, guys!
    -E
  15. GK Growl

GK Growl

D'Addario Nickels are great. Guitar Center online sells twin packs for EXL170s for $19.99 which is the cheapest I've seen.
  16. mmbongo

D'Addario XL NICKEL ROUND WOUND - 4-String Set 2-PACK

boom! $19.27 at Bass Strings Online with VIP pricing. Pretty darn impressive that Jason can beat Guitar Center.

Once you consider shipping vs. sales tax, it might be $1 more so if you just want one twin pack, yeah go up to Guitar Center and deal with some wanker :)

Then again, not all of us have a Guitar Center nearby. I have to drive an hour and a half to get to one. Jason delivers them to my door.
  17. Lo-E

Lo-E

I'm going to be trying several different things; some that you guys have suggested and some that Jason suggested as well. My order w/ Jason will be going in later today.

I don't change strings all that often, so It'll take me a while to work my way through all the options, but I'll post my findings as I try them out.

Thanks again for everybody's input. I'm goin' on a little string safari!
  18. Lo-E

Lo-E

First set to be put on trial:
    SIT Rock Brights

They are , in fact, pretty bright-sounding, which is exactly what Jason said they would be. Waiting now to see how they sound after the initial few hours of playing time.

The tension on these is just a little more than I typically like. Not a big deal, but noticeable. I'll see how they settle in over time.
  19. steamthief

steamthief

Subscribed to read your thoughts on your safari!
  20. Duke21

Duke21

Love nickel plated as well! My favorite are the Rotosound RB strings which are the same as the swing bass 66 nickel, but without the silk AND almost half the price.
  21. Lo-E

Lo-E

I've got a set of the 66 nickels awaiting their turn. Back in my SS days, I used the Rotos for a while, but they didn't last very long. Jason assures me that the nickels outlast the SS by a lot. We'll just see about that.....