1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bring a Little Something or No?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by marmadaddy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

I have a co-headlining gig tonight, each band is doing 1.5 hours. My band goes on first. One of the guys in my band is friendly with the other act and he spoke with the bass player and found out that we use the same amp. So, he arranges with the other guy for me to use his rig for all the practical reasons.

I don't know the other bass player. This is obviously very generous of him so I asked around and apparently he drinks scotch. My thinking was to bring him a bottle of something as way to say "thanks". Now I find out he's recently in recovery so the scotch is out. I'm thinking a restaurant gift card to a place like Olive Garden etc.

My guitar player says I shouldn't, it's completely unnecessary and will just make him feel awkward.

What say you Talkbass?
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Thank him personally, and buy him a drink (non-alcoholic) of his choice. Let him see you're not a jerk who's gonna wreck his rig, and that you recognize his generosity.
  3. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

I'd just tuck a 'Thank You' twenty under the amps handle or corner..everybody likes cash
  4. mmoore1

mmoore1

I'd simply tell him thank you and maybe offer to pick up his dinner tab if he had one.

Other than thank just let him know you'll treat it as if it were your own and that if the chance arises, you'll be happy to return he favor and use your amp next time.

Also let him know you like his taste in rigs :bassist:
  5. gttim

gttim

Bring him a bouquet of flowers. That won't be awkward at all.
  6. Bow tie

Bow tie

Speaking as a bass player and alcoholic, I love the suggestion of a genuine thank you and a coke from the bar
  7. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Well, since you guys have the same amp, what do you think would be really nice if it were the other way around and your amp was being used the whole night? The genuine thank you/gratitude is big and whatever you think the convenience of not lugging your amp is worth. The drink of choice(non-alcoholic) at the bar is a pretty standard thanks in my opinion in band situations for photographers, people who run merch etc. but since he's co-headlining most venues I play at I could get a coke for free for myself so that might not exactly be the most meaningful. I like the little bit of cash idea because he can use it as he pleases(throw some in the gas tank, food after the show etc.). Gift cards are hit or miss and if you don't know him very well and don't want to use cash maybe a visa giftcard that he can use anywhere or GC or Amazon or a gas card. I think any of those things paired with the sincere thanks would mean a lot to me and would be unexpected(not awkward) if I was in the same situation.
  8. repoman

repoman

As a tequila drinker I would love a bottle of Cabo Wabo as a "thank you" gesture. ...oh, and make it blanco, please... :)
  9. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    That's all well and good but if something happens to his amp while you're playing there will be a whole lot of BS behind it. I'm sure your guitar player means well but I would prefer he mind his business about my sound and my rig. If only one amp is there and you blow it up by no fault of your own that's two bands without a bass amp. Take your own amp set it up like you want and call it a day. Sure you may have to stay later to load out but it cuts down on a lot of BS that could happen and this is just my opinion. Have a great gig.
  10. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

I used to let all the bands I knew on our bill use my amp, mostly because I loved hearing it FOH :) To me, a hearty thanks is all thats needed.
  11. electracoyote

electracoyote

This.

Ask him about settings, discuss your needs, make sure he knows you respect his equipment and you're not going to wreck his rig, and thank him sincerely. He'll appreciate that.

Gifting seems a little sycophantic to me.
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. I like this idea.
  13. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I have to agree with this. Just a sincere spoken thanks, and bring your amp as a back-up (of course I am thinking amp head, is this a combo rig we're talking about?).
  14. shwashwa

shwashwa

nothing says thank you like a tray of scones.

15. dalkowski

dalkowski

+1. Recovering alcoholic here. Best "gift" you can give him is utmost respect for his gear -- treat it better than your own kit.

I wouldn't say no to a tall, cold club soda either.
  16. SouthTippBass

SouthTippBass

Dude, dont bring a gift, it'l be weird and awkward. Just be sure to say thanks and, if you want, will return the favor if the opportunity arises in the future.
  17. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

+ 1

That's the way to go IMO. It's not cheesy or complicated, plus it says a lot more than just a handshake or verbal thanks does. If he's a recovering alcoholic, he can use it on whatever he wants without feeling awkward or what have you. This is also a subtle and not showy way of saying thanks as well. Very good suggestion.
  18. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

I just always offer up my rig for the next gig we play together. We do like a "swap" thing if we need to. All of the guys I share with know that I can't even buy myself dinner, let alone them, so it is all good. I also always make sure I am there to help with any load in and out, as well as on and off the stage
  19. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

A big sloppy kiss might be in order. On stage, of course.
  20. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Completely agree with this. I've shared rigs many times and we've never exchanged gifts afterwards. Just treat his gear well and let him know you'd be happy to return the favor if the opportunity arises.