1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bringing out "woodiness" in L2K

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AwesomeWithAQ, Jan 27, 2013.

1. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I play a G&L L-2000 Tribute, and I'm trying to find a string that will help accentuate a woodiness in the midrange. I generally lean toward nickel and I go for sort of an airy p-sound. I'm savvy with the L2K controls, so I'm just looking for the perfect string to complete my sound. In the past couple years I've tried:

D'ad Chromes - Very nice flat, but I'm not really looking for a full flat. Too dull.

D'ad Halfwounds - I feel like these were the strings where I started noticing the woodiness I'm looking for. I need another round with them.

SIT Power Flats - I didn't care too much for these strings. They weren't horrible, but they had no character and did not stay in tune.

DR Sunbeams - I really enjoyed these, especially after a month or so. They have a wonderful, rich midrange which sounds great, but is too "wet" for what I'm going for.

DR Nickel Lo Riders - I just put these on today, and they sound nice. I think I need to break them in before I can really say anything about them, but they're bassier than I was expecting.

Anyone going for the same thing I am? Any suggestions if the Lo Riders don't hit the spot?
  2. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

A fully worn in set of Infeld Super Alloys. Best string I ever heard on my L2K.... and I tried many. SS just don't work on it.... even of the flat variety. The Infelds SA's will not be zingy out of the pack, and once they settle in, they'll hold that tone for months.
  3. c2thej2theizzo

c2thej2theizzo

Try the DR Marcus Miller fatbeams I have found that they are a good compromise between the Sunbeams and the LowRiders.

Also a month old set of Sunbeams sound alot more "normal" to me than a new set. a bit of that "wet" sound and presence of new strings goes away. - This applies to any set of strings in my opinion.
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Accentuate woodiness? Have you tried tapewounds? Nothing woodier.
  5. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Thomastik Infeld flats in my opinion would work wonderfully to bring out the woodiness in the bass.
  6. KeithKlaxwell

KeithKlaxwell

TIs for a flat, Rotos for a wooly tapewound.

bassstringsonline.com will get you the best deal on either.
  7. Duckwater

Duckwater

Agreed
  8. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

There's the new labella white tapes which are actually clear. Apparently brighter than black tapes. Mine are in transit.
  9. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I've been curious about TI Flats. I haven't tried 'me yet cause like I said I've been staying away from true flats, but I'm not against them. I also prefer a higher tension but I'm adaptable. Haven't tried tapewounds yet but I've been more and more curious. What tapewounds would you say have the nicest midrange?
  10. Duckwater

Duckwater

I would recommend the Roto Tapes. They have that classic "thunk" sound that sounds like wood being knocked on. I haven't tried any other tapes though, I bet the D'Addario are nice as well.
  11. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I'll probably try tapes after the Lo Riders. If it helps suggestions any, I play with a cellist and try not to step on her toes, but I also want to stay out of the super bassy bass realm.
  12. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Could not agree more, at least where D'Addario nylon tapewounds are concerned. And underneath the nylon they're nickel roundwounds.
  13. PeterF

PeterF

+1 on the TI Jazz Flats. If you can do a lower tension string, they have woody-ness and also a definite but NOT obnoxious mid range. I really like 'em.
  14. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I hear they have silk in them, yeah? If that does to tone what I would want it to, I'm down.

I practiced with the Lo Riders tonight. My cellist and I shared my amp which always makes us both sound horrible, but I really was diggin the strings. Still gotta break em in a bit.

If this thread's still rolling after a few more practices, I'll give more settled impressions.
  15. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

P.S. Does anyone have experience with the DR Jonas Hellborg set?
  16. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

The L2K is a different beast, and I think one of the most picky basses out there when it comes to string choices. Back when there was a dedicated G&L Forum here on TB, the general concensus was, IMO, that there just wasn't anything any better at warming up the beast than the Infeld SA's. I was turned on to them by that forum, and I'm glad I was. The SA's and the L2K are a perfect match. And again, stay away from stainless steel strings on it..... horrible overtones.
  17. Toptube

Toptube

Play some Webstrings nickels or Daddario XLs until "dead". Then, never take them off.
  18. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

How do the Infeld SAs feel? I was convicted I'd never play a round again til I tried DR, but technically they're pressure wound. Are they light on tension like the flats?
  19. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

20. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

I currently have my L2k strung up with Rotosound Swing Bass 66's . Between the MFD pickups and these strings you can't believe the snarl I'm getting. My favorite setting is both pickups, parallel in passive mode.
    Brent