1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

British Bass Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Willgrossibass, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Hello guys I'm really new to this forum, so I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in this first post of mine.
    So I am really into the british scene of music in fact fascinated and I love it! But I wanted to know if you guys could tell me about, indicate mw really technical/vituoso, or overall good sounding/ groovy bass players in the UK. Doesn't matter new or old, but I am really interested in the new guys in specials. But I rarelly hear about them, outside of the more popular palyers like Macca or John Entwistle. So I would be glad if you guys could point me out.
    Cheers, William.
  2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

3. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Hi Hamlet7768! I am well aware of that thread but I am looking for specifically gifted, technical/virtuoso Bass players, from britain, and with more focus on the unknow guys or bands that they play with. Thanks to that thread I dicovered the amazing Colin Hodgkinson, but I saw a lot of Macca Squire, JPJ etc..
    I looking for something a bit more specific, mainly from the new scene like Gwizdala, or The guy from Haken, or even the guy from TTNG, even Tony Grey, who I think is an admin here. But the unknow gems from the past are also welcome.
    I am just trying to get a bit more information with guys familiar with the scene.
    But I am really grateful for your reply anyway! (Sorry for my english!!!)
  4. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Groovy, and good sounding players can also be included!
  5. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I see. Well, one good British bassist who's still out there playing right now is Chris Wolstenholme of Muse. He may qualify as more well-known, but he's an excellent bassist with a sound wholly his own.
  6. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

I know him, his work in Origin of Symmetry is marvellous! But not quite what I am looking for, because Muse is kind off popular nowadays. But thanks a lot! If you know more players please tell me!
  7. JimCarr

JimCarr

Ed Nash from Bombay Bicycle Club has some pretty cool riffs, check out 'always like this' and 'lights out words gone'. Bonobo AKA Simon Green is an all rounder musician but the bass on his tracks are amazing and he plays bass live, whilst activating and working samples from a sample pad. Peace!
  8. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Thanks you so much man! I've heard about Bonobo, but never about the other one! I am going to check it! Please if you guys know more tell me!
  9. jtb

jtb

Search YouTube for Laurence Cottle.
  10. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

That's what I was talking about, when speaking of virtuoso bass players! Players like this guy Janek or Percy Jones! Thanks a lot man! If you guys know more players like him or that fit in the other categories, please let me know!
  11. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Some players who can do some tapping, or slapping ( not being Mark King or Stuart Zender who are more well known) with fast fingerstyle, or players with good sounding or melodic riffs/hooks/grooves in general, or that do something outside of the usual root,basic playing...
  12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Guy Pratt or Pino Palladino
  13. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

I really like Pino! But I don't really know a lot about guy pratt... Is that the guy who played with Pink Floyd inthe 90's?
  14. the_stone

the_stone

That's him. I can't remember if it's on Youtube or just some random website, but there's a pretty funny series of video interviews where he talks about his time in that band (and also shows off a really cool old Jazz bass).
  15. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Yeah now I reamember that amazing solo on "Money"! Thanks a lot for mentioning him! If you guys know more, keep them coming!
  16. jay tay

jay tay

watched a Jazz/Funk fusion Band in Manchester a couple of weeks ago, they were called King Bee, and they were from Newcastle, the Bass player was a dude called "DAN BRADY" and he had unstoppable grove, a must hear and see!

here is a link to their sound cloud

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  17. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Thanks Jay! I am studying abroad in London so some bands that are more regional in the sense that are not very well known outside of the UK, are really welcome! Those are hard to find outside of the local circles and so on. Thanks a lot for pointing me out! Ps: Awesome effect on that bass! Is that an envelope filter?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  18. Willgrossibass

Willgrossibass

Any tapping slapping or fast fingerstyle players?
  19. ERIC31

ERIC31

Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo (and other bands/projects). A very eccentric bloke but talented! Slap chops for miles. Also plays The Stick. One of my favorites since the early days.
  20. iiipopes

iiipopes